Oil that Works Best for Ford Focus - Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a member of two of the Ford Focus forums. I recently bought a 2004 Focus (Florida car) with just 85,000 for my two teenagers to commute to college for the next 8 combined years. You know how hard teenagers can be on a vehicle. This one has a rare 2.3L chain, Double Overhead cam engine, as opposed to most timing belt SPI and Zetec engines of that era. Automatic transmission.

Most folks don't associate older Ford Focus and high odometer mileage in the same sentence. Toyota Corollas and Hondas, yes, Focus, not too often. So in the quest for knowledge, I decided to ask around the Focus Forums, as to what motor oils, owners with the highest odometer mileage used. In other words, I wanted to know what motor oil works best in the real world - on a vehicle that most owners ABUSE and get rid of at the 150,000 - 180,000 mile mark. In a non scientific poll, I decided to share what they told me.

* Owner 1) Has a 2001 Zetec SVT Focus with 230,000 miles. NEVER has changed the gear
fluid or brakes! (I don't believe him). Motor Oil: Castrol Syntec every 5,000 miles.
Sometimes Motorcraft 5W20 Blend. New York State owner.

* Owner 2) Has a 2002 Zetec Focus with 322,000 miles. Motorcraft 5W20 Blend every 3,000 miles until he
hit 300,000 miles, now every 6,000 miles. Automatic transmission fluid changed every 25,000
miles. Toronto owner.

* Owner 3) Has a 2000 Zetec Focus with 370,000 miles. Motor Oil: Plain Chevron 5W30 dino oil, every 5,000
to 8,000 miles. Has not changed the automatic transmission fluid since the first 100,000 mile
mark! Minnesota owner.

What I learned from this, is what many of you have been saying all along, regular oil changes intervals of a cheap dino oil, can take your vehicle as far as any high dollar synthetic oil. I was also surprised that the
highest odometer mileage Focus, I encountered, were located in cold climates. I would have thought that the combination of cold starts and road salt would have led to an early demise. All three of these owners are on their original engines, that are all "running strong". I also learned that that timing belt driven, Ford Zetec 4 cylinder engine is as durable as any Toyota or Honda 4 cylinder engine, if given regular maintenance.

The question I am asking myself, is what do I do with the Mobil 1 0W20, and Pennzoil Ultra 5W20 from my stash? I guess I'll save that for my, 100,000 mile 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid - and save the cheap stuff for the Focus (as it should be).

The zetec will run forever. There are tons of little zx2's running around with a bunch of miles on them.

I use M1 0-20 in my 2007 Focus Duratech with 10K OCIs. My engines(Focus and Fusion) use no oil between OCIs, are very clean, show no sign of engine wear, and run great. 10K is my normal, for others 3-5K.

As with a lot of Fords from that era, they suffered from weak transmissions. The Duratec engine will outlive at least 2 4F27E transmisisons.

I think your 2.3 is a duratek. On my 2.0 duratek I got a minor case of varnish or discoloring after I ran Pennzoil High Mileage Vehicle so I won't run that in her again.

Once I ran 10w-30 and the car didn't run or drive right at all so I won't run that again.

The only thing that made her noisy was the swirl plates in the intake manifold, so I took them out.

Very recently had a misfire and found water inside two spark plug tubes. Misfire in a 4 cylinder is a little disturbing. Removed the water and one week later the misfire returned. Had the spark plug boots and the plugs replaced and this week we'll see if the misfire returns again. I'm not concerned. New plugs are Autolite platinum AP104.

Currently running NAPA synthetic with NAPA silver filter and all is well in that department. I run 5000 - 6000 mile intervals and don't add any between oil changes. Previous OC was Walmart supertech with Motorcraft filter and that ran well, too.

You're not concerned about finding water in the spark plug wells, and you didn't do anything to fix it? Oil is one thing but water?

Originally Posted By: jorton
Very recently had a misfire and found water inside two spark plug tubes. Misfire in a 4 cylinder is a little disturbing. Removed the water and one week later the misfire returned. Had the spark plug boots and the plugs replaced and this week we'll see if the misfire returns again. I'm not concerned. New plugs are Autolite platinum AP104.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Not to be picky, but there was no SVT Focus in 2001. They were only 2002-2004MY cars.

My mistake. I had a few errors on this one. (Lack of sleep I guess). Owner #1 now has 305,000 miles on a 2004 SVT Focus. He uses only Castrol Syntec 5W30 at 5,000 - 6,000 mile intervals. Has replaced a transmission at 290,000 miles and a couple of timing belts. Engine is original. Lives in Northern Virginia.

Oil in the spark plug wells is (usually) just the seal. But water implies something else, I'm not even sure how that would happen. And by "water" I mean coolant.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Yeah - that's probably a bad thing.

I had oil in one of the spark plug wells.

You might want to put in your good oil and overfill a bit if your kids are going to be running around in it. It might not get regular changes or even anyone checking the level for months on end...

Spark plug tubes are placed in a well, in the valve cover. Rain water, car wash water, even wind shield washer water can make it's way down the back edge of the hood to the top of the engine. Ford has a TSB with revised parts for the squirters. So I used boot grease on the new spark plug boot grommets.

Last edited:
True, but geez those must be some crummy boots on the wires, on all my cars they are tight and snap into a ring on the valve cover. There's no way water could get in there from the outside, and besides, once the engine is running ti would boil off/evaporate pretty quickly even if it did.

Originally Posted By: jorton
Spark plug tubes are placed in a well, in the valve cover. Rain water, car wash water, even wind shield washer water can make it's way down the back edge of the hood to the top of the engine. Ford has a TSB with revised parts for the squirters. So I used boot grease on the new spark plug boot grommets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back