oil testing to sell a car??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used the results of their oil test to help sell a vehicle? i mean you ever show a propective buyer the results? Did it work?

Maybe on a private sale, but at a dealership, forget it. When I traded my last car, I tried to leverage the couple of great UOAs into a bit more for the trade. I had done my homework, and within the range of trades, I was alreading doing pretty well, esp considering the deal I was getting on the new G. Actually, the response from the dealership folks was pretty funny. They looked at the UOA report as if I was showing them the results of a urine test -- you know, sort of holding it and looking it as if they weren't sure they should have this info, and looking at me as if I was a bit nuts for having given it to them in the first place. Clearly, these were not BITOG people.

they were normal business people.....
wink.gif

unless it moves the car faster or adds tangible value, it's of no use to them. Kelly BlueBook et al rules; no added $$ for a favorable oil analyis.

But to an individual it may help especially on an older high mileage car.

personally, I would ask for a history rather than a single report.

I used a couple UOA's as well as well documented maintenance on my 2000 Wrangler when I sold it in July. I think it's one of the things that helped sell it (private party sale).

I think most people would understand or ever heard of an UOA. if it wasnt for me me being in the air force I would of never known about this stuff. I think if you can show the OCI and maintance on the vehicle should be good enough. I would say a UOA is over kill unless selling a exotic or high preformance vehicle. but could never hurt to have. after all never know what the person may ask for. rather have too much info than not enough
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Dark Jedi:
I think most people would understand or ever heard of an UOA. if it wasnt for me me being in the air force I would of never known about this stuff. I think if you can show the OCI and maintance on the vehicle should be good enough. I would say a UOA is over kill unless selling a exotic or high preformance vehicle. but could never hurt to have. after all never know what the person may ask for. rather have too much info than not enough
grin.gif

Most haven't, but I've found that those who have an inkling of a clue about how to care for a car are usually favorably impressed with the concept of UOA and will usually be receptive to the data. Many folks believe, and it may be the best choice for them, that UOA is too costly and too much of a hassle to bother with. Let's face it, for most people who carefully change their oil at short OCI, zero, one, ten, or dozens of UOAs aren't going to change the outcome of their ownership experience. That said, though, there are plenty of folks who are extra-involved in their cars, for whatever reasons. It is those people who will be the most impressed with UOA, and in select, private party sales, the good UOAs together with solid maintenance records, they may be willing to pay a premium for a car with such documentation. But I do emphasize the "may" part of that.

It may have helped me sell my high-mileage F-150 to a small business. It has had some intermittant transmission problems that I could not isolate and I will not lie about something like that.

I had a UOA done on the transmission to try and find the problem. When I showed the report to he buyer's mechanic during pre-purchase inspection, it did make a positive difference. The UOA showed no internal problems.

Even if the buyer had no idea what it meant, it helped prove, along with complete records, that I was obsessive about maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back