Oil Supply in Stores

Is it just me or has anyone noticed that some oils that were always in stock are now hit or miss. I stopped by my local Walmarkts this weekend and the shelves were less that half stocked. Several weights and brands completely out of stock. I will say that this particular store is known for poor customer service and not keeping their shelves stocked.

Is it just me or has anyone noticed that some oils that were always in stock are now hit or miss. I stopped by my local Walmarkts this weekend and the shelves were less that half stocked. Several weights and brands completely out of stock. I will say that this particular store is known for poor customer service and not keeping their shelves stocked.
I noticed the same
entire stock of Penzoil brand was gone

It's called allotment, not poor customer service. Pennzoil only has so much to go around and Walmart simply cannot order all they want.
Just like a Chevy dealer can't order all the Silverados they want.

I noticed quite a number of empty display areas at Home Depot today and lots of things with just a couple items in stock. I had to go to two stores to get all the pipe I needed for a small job.

We have Castrol 0W20 Magnatec in one of our bulk tanks, the driver said it was on backorder a couple weeks ago. So far the Motorcraft oil in the other tanks hasn't been an issue yet.

The Napa I go to in Windsor has plenty of Cam2 oil there. They sell quite a bit of it too. Super S cases were there the other day too.

Funny how it used to be quite seldom to see an empty oil place on Walmart shelves. Only time I saw empty shelves sections was due to them selling off certain oils in order to be ready to do a reset and fill every section up. Now it's quite common it seems based upon what people are observing on here.

At our local Walmart yesterday it was Mobil 1 in short supply. Everything else was fully stocked. it was Mobil 1 EP that was the most scarce. There was one sole 5 quart jug of 0w20 EP HM. The only other M1 0w20 was about 4 jugs of AFE. Other weights in EP were almost non-existent, as well.

I shoud've taken a photo. I'll do that if I'm in there again anytime soon.

Since the pandemic lockdown started last year, I noticed more oil on the shelf at Walmart than during non-pandemic years. Prior to last year, they were hit and miss. All brands are fully stocked - Mobil 1, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Royal Purple, Castrol and their house brand SuperTech.

You should have seen how quick 10/30 went after Ida. I think I snag the last 10/30 but it was High Mileage PP. I wanted M1 HM 10/30 but beggars can't be choosy. Y was lucky in only not having power for 10 days, I hope to get some Delo 15/40 semi tomorrow. Need so chain/bar oil too. This is the lowest I ever had my oil stock go. Even need 2 cycle oil.

We switched from Mobil to Quaker State a few months back due to supplier issues. Quaker state 0w20 is currently on backorder, most Pennzoil has been on backorder for months.

Yup, the shelves on all 6 local WMs are barren of oil. I'd say on average about 80% empty.

I suspect I know where it went though.... (evil laugh)....

The Great Oil Harvest Hurricane Walmart event.... Resized_20210828_215239.jpegResized_20210828_155100.jpegResized_20210831_131655.jpegResized_20210906_121559.jpegResized_20210813_120721.jpegResized_20210706_140930.jpegResized_20210722_190543.jpegResized_20210828_131157.jpegResized_20210906_160330 (1).jpeg

It's called the supply chain.
In case you haven't noticed, the trucking industry has been decimated. Pretty much everything is delivered by truck.
Get your oil online to avoid "the last mile" issues.

Last edited:
Yup, the shelves on all 6 local WMs are barren of oil. I'd say on average about 80% empty.

I suspect I know where it went though.... (evil laugh)....

The Great Oil Harvest Hurricane Walmart event....View attachment 72549View attachment 72550View attachment 72551View attachment 72552View attachment 72553View attachment 72554View attachment 72555View attachment 72556View attachment 72557
Well done sir. I've gotten over my oil addiction and currently only have enough 10 quarts on hand. I've moved on to the wire backed fram ultras now, I have sourced 10 of the "classics" and continue my treasure hunt....

Walmarts south of Houston have been bare for the last month. Went in the Pearland store today looking for rv antifreeze and the shelves were fully stocked. One week ago they were super picked over. I went in the Missouri City store on friday and walked the oil isle for grins. Literally nothing but Supertech 5-20 in jugs, and 3 quarts of 5-30…..everything else was gone. Like literally gone. I wish i would have had my phone with me. First thing i thought was “**** i need a picture of this to post on BITOG.” Lol

I went a couple weeks ago to buy some Valvoline Extended protection for one of my cars.

They had 1 jug of 0w20. M1 afe and that was it. There weren’t any other 0w20s.

Back