Oil suggestions for new engine in my SC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up my 1990 Thunderbird SC from Super Coupes Unlimited where it got a full engine rebuild. Mostly stock parts except 94 spec connecting rods with Wiseco forged pistons. The stock oil spec is 5w30, but my rebuilder told me he set the engine clearances for a 40 weight. It has a brand new stock oil pump. It has a prototype Eaton M90 supercharger with coated rotors and it is running 10% overdrive on the supercharger. It makes around 17psi boost at full throttle. I just bought 4 gallons of Synpower 10w30 with the rebate before I knew he was setting it up for 40 weight. I'm going to run two 300 mile intervals on conventional for break in. Then I want to switch to a synthetic. I'm leaning towards Rotella T6 5w-40 right now, but I'm open for everyone's suggestions! (why else would I be here?)

Your engine is spec'd for 5W-30, and, according to you above, it is 'mostly stock parts'....if it's 'mostly stock parts, your builder didn't 'build it' for 40-weights.

Your builder is just old-school, and wants you to use 'that good solid 40-weight...don't be using none of that [censored]-thin 30 weight..' Yeah, it's a streotype, but they exist for a reason.....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Your engine is spec'd for 5W-30, and, according to you above, it is 'mostly stock parts'....if it's 'mostly stock parts, your builder didn't 'build it' for 40-weights.

Your builder is just old-school, and wants you to use 'that good solid 40-weight...don't be using none of that [censored]-thin 30 weight..' Yeah, it's a streotype, but they exist for a reason.....

I strongly believe your stereotype of my engine builder is incorrect. This guy is definitely not your stereotypical old school engine builder. All he builds is high performance Ford 3.8Ls for SCs. He told me that the stock engine is built with very tight clearances and works very well with a 5w-30. It is also my knowledge that when you assemble a engine you can set the clearances how you want them for a desired weight of oil. Please lets not jump to conclusions or make hasty generalizations here.

Originally Posted By: lanteau
Originally Posted By: addyguy

I strongly believe your stereotype of my engine builder is incorrect. This guy is definitely not your stereotypical old school engine builder. All he builds is high performance Ford 3.8Ls for SCs. He told me that the stock engine is built with very tight clearances and works very well with a 5w-30. It is also my knowledge that when you assemble a engine you can set the clearances how you want them for a desired weight of oil. Please lets not jump to conclusions or make hasty generalizations here.

Ok , I'll restate.If redline is too pricey... I think the Rotella T6 would be a fine choice.

Last edited:
I hope you put some form of free flowing headers (as well as stronger head/intake gaskets) on that beast?

I remember when I had one and was told by everyone involved with them (performance wise) NOT to raise the boost without opening up the exhaust system, whether the bottom end was built, or not!

I had an overdrive pulley on the Eaton as well, but took it off when I heard about people blowing out head gaskets on higher than stock boost with stock exhaust.
wink.gif

BTW; I also vote for Red Line (5W-40, or 10W-40), as far as oil goes.

It does have an opened up exhaust. It also does not have the standard composite style head gaskets. It has had both the block and heads decked to an RA of around 25 and the newer MLS head gaskets. Red Line oil definitely would work well in it, but it is a little too pricey for me. Especially because I don't plan on racing it anymore, it's just a street car. I would also prefer something I can buy locally.

I am also kind of curious about Schaeffers Supreme 9000 oil in 5w40. I really have no clue what prices are for say a 12qt case of Supreme 9000 though. But I will say the specs on the data sheet seem quite impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back