Oil Suggestions for Honda S2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your looking for something a little thicker than the thin for a thirty-weight Mobil1 (not picking on Mobil1!), maybe you could try German Castrol 0w-30. Shear stable, good additive package, great startup flow, thicker hydrodynamic cushion, etc, etc...

Geeezzz, where's Pscholte when you need him?
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
If your looking for something a little thicker than the thin for a thirty-weight Mobil1 (not picking on Mobil1!), maybe you could try German Castrol 0w-30. Shear stable, good additive package, great startup flow, thicker hydrodynamic cushion, etc, etc...

Geeezzz, where's Pscholte when you need him?
grin.gif

Perhaps he went to check on his stash of 2000 quarts of GC and the whole thing toppled over on him!
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
[Geeezzz, where's Pscholte when you need him?
grin.gif
[/qb]

Perhaps he went to check on his stash of 2000 quarts of GC and the whole thing toppled over on him!
tongue.gif
[/QB][/QUOTE]

Yeah....It's sad that 80% the U.S. supply belongs to him.
grin.gif

I'm in El Paso and haven't found any GC here...All of the AZ's have only like 12 bottles of the 0w-30 and of course it's the old stuff...I really don't think that we'll ever get GC...of course where in TX would you need 0w-30...yes we get 2 day freak snow storms every year, and Dallas gets ice storms occassionally, but Houston? So much for the German Castrol...

I've used M1 15w-50 and there are some excellent reports on it here...I think there are some on Hondas as well...Winter, maybe 10w-30...Summer with all of the humidity (worked at NASA one summer) and the AC cranked...15w-50 is good...

Also, another recommendation would be Schaeffer's 15w-40...but if you want an oil that you can get at a moment's notice...M1 is the way to go!

Hello all.

I recently purchased an S2000 and was wondering what, if any, kind of oil would be best suited for such a high reving engine in the Houston area. I've read about people mixing 10W-30 with 15W-50 or something to that effect. Honda suggests in the owner's manual sticking with 10W-30 but I thought I might ask you'll for your opinion in the matter. The owner's manual also suggests waiting until 7,500-10,000 miles before switching over to synthetics due to the FRM(Fiber Reinforced Material?) used in the block. Supposedly it takes longer for this material to "break-in". Do you'll agree with this or would switching to synthetics sooner not present a problem?

Also, out of Mobil 1, AMSOIL, and Redline which is considered the better quality synthetic? Which one has the better UOA's? I know this will have to do with the specific engine running the oil but I figured there might be some other Honda owners here with some feedback based on experience.

Thanks for your time.

[ October 20, 2003, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: AP1_F20C ]

All the oils you mentioned will do well. Redline seems to be the best oil but so far we have not seen very many UOA's on it. I would go with Mobil 1 10w30 year round. It is very stable and will not shear down much. It is also easiest to get plus it has many many great UOA's on here, do a search and prepair to read!
smile.gif

Mobil 1 10w-30. There is a great report on here with an S2000 using M1 10w-30.

[ October 20, 2003, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Does anyone have a link they could provide me with explaining the differences/benefits of 0W-30, 5W-30, 10W-30, and 15W-50 depending on the temperature of the environment in which one lives?

I keep seeing some people recommend 0W-30 but it seems like most of them are far north usually in the Canada region which wouldn't make sense for the South Texas area.

Thanks so far to all that have responded.

Any 0W-30 or 5W-30 oil that has the European ACEA rating of A3 will have a high temperature high shear viscosity of >3.5 and will also be thicker than most other 30 weight oils at 100 C. Castrol's old Syntec 0W-30 was only rated ACEA A1 and had an HT/HS viscosity of 2.95 and the viscosity at 100 C was only 10 cSt. The new ACEA A3/B3/B4 rated Castrol (German) Syntec 0W-30 has a HT/HS of >3.5 and the viscosity at 100 C is almost 12 cSt. If you want to use a 30 wt oil be sure to get one with the ACEA A3 rating. A high quality synthetic oil can pump at -30 C and still protect very well in 120+ F weather.

I think I would follow Honda's suggestion of using a "dino" oil for 10,000 miles and then use the "German" Syntec 0W-30 or Mobil 1 0W-40 or M1 10W-30 with one quart of M1 15W-50 mixed in. Bye the way cool car!

[ October 21, 2003, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Sin City...thanks for the suggestions. Do you think running a 0W-30 in South Texas would be ok? It wouldn't be too thin would it?

Also, before switching over to a synthetic would you'll run the Auto-Rx through the engine? The car only has about 8,500 miles on it now. Do you think there would be anything worth cleaning out of there at only 10,000 miles? Is it really worth the effort or should I just not worry about it?

quote:

Originally posted by AP1_F20C:
Sin City...thanks for the suggestions. Do you think running a 0W-30 in South Texas would be ok? It wouldn't be too thin would it?

Also, before switching over to a synthetic would you'll run the Auto-Rx through the engine? The car only has about 8,500 miles on it now. Do you think there would be anything worth cleaning out of there at only 10,000 miles? Is it really worth the effort or should I just not worry about it?

A lot of people are afraid to use a 0w30 or 0w40 oil in hot weather, but keep in mind, these oils are in the same viscosity range as 10w30s and 10w40s once the engine is warmed up. The big difference is that when it's colder, they flow better, which is exactly what you want.

As far as using Auto-rx in your vehicle. It's not necessary at this point, your engine should be perfectly clean.

I agree 100% with everything Patman said. No need for AutoRX or any other engine cleaner with so few miles on your Honda. Just buy the "German" Castrol Syntec 0W-30 or Mobil 1 0W-40 since they are both fairly easy to find and cost about $5.00 per quart or less. AutoZone sells Mobil 1 0W-40 and Castrol Syntec 0W-30. Checker Auto Parts sells Mobil 1 0W-40.

Here in Las Vegas 0W-30 oil is not very popular so you may only see the old 0W-30 Syntec on the auto parts store shelves in a warm climate like Houston, TX. If you decide to purchase the 0W-30 Castrol Syntec be carefull to only buy the product that says ACEA A3/B3/B4 on the back of the bottle and NOT the old version that says ACEA A1. Remember that any oil with the ACEA A3/B3 or B4 rating will have a high temperature high shear viscosity, cP @150 C of >3.5. The ACEA rated A3/B3/B4 0W-30 Castrol Syntec is thicker than 5W-30 or 10W-30 Castrol Syntec or Mobil 1 at any temperature over about 40 or 50 C.

[ October 24, 2003, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back