Oil suggestions for a 1996 Toyota T100?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RL3

I am the second owner of a 1996 Toyota T100. Odometer will read 250K within the next week of driving. Most of my miles are highway on the eastern plains of Colorado. Runs great and if I drive it nice and easy it will give me 20 mpg.

I do my own oil changes and haven't put much thought into the type of oil/filter I have used. I have done changes every 3k and as long as 10k. I have used walmart oil(synthetic) and NAPA oil(conventional) both 5w-30. Fram, Bosch, NAPA filters(whatever is on sale) have all been used.

I would like to maximize my mpg and keep this thing running for as long as I can.

I will take any and all suggestions.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Napa conventional plus a Napa Gold every 3k in good. Now sense of wanting money on synthetic unless you're running longer oiled change intervals.

5w30 is the correct viscosity.

Originally Posted By: RL3
(whatever is on sale)

This has been working fine for you and I wouldn't change anything about your routine.

Going into winter, I'd consider a full syn product and run it out to 8-10k. Just less hassle in the cold as far as maintance and the potential for better start up flow.

M1 0w30 comes to mind. Run that to 9k and the price will offset three conventional oci's at 3k.

Value leader in national sale right now looks like PP/FU at AAP. 23.99 after rebate for 5qts and a fram filter. That's $4 a quart for PP and a Fram Ultra Filter for $3.99. FRN can save you even more.

If you enjoy changing oil and have the time, stick with dino on sale. If you want to extend your OCI, the SuperTech Synthetic you've been using will work well. If synthetic tends to make the truck use more oil, go back to dino, a blend or a high mileage.

Whatever is on sale is good. If no sale, I would go with Supertech 5w30 syn and a fram ultra filter w 7500 -10k mile OCI. Ur Toyota will last

What engine/trans/2wd/4wd/driving style?
How many miles driven monthly average?
Any engine/oil consumption/leakage/noises?

3.4 L 5VZ-FE V6/Auto Trans/4wd/easy does it driving style(trying to maximize my mpg
1500-2000 miles per month
Add 1/2 quart every 5000 miles.

Thanks for any thoughts you have on this.

I appreciate your thoughts on the hassle of oil change in the winter. Longer OCI sounds like a great idea.

Full synth 0w30...Mobil1, Amsoil, Lucas, Amalie, MPT, ... are some. 10k mile oil change interval or 6 months whichever comes 1st.

The Castrol and RedLine are euro thick and not best for MPG, but can be used for topping off that 1/2 pint every 2500 miles.

Use an oversized FL1a/PH8a/51515 filter. No need for expensive oil filter.

75w90 full synth GL5 gear oil for the diffs and xfer case.
If you tow/plow, use a 75w110 in the rear diff.

And, use a full synthetic ATF for the automatic and PSF. Peak, Amalie, Lubegard, Redline, RoyalPurple, Cam2, Castrol, Maxlife, Amsoil, Eneos,... are some.

For slip and u-joints, RoyalPurple, Redline, or Synpower grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back