Oil suggestions for 2021 1.5T GM Ecotech

My BIL just picked up a 20121 Chevy Equinox with the 1.5 T engine (6 speed auto), 27,000 miles on the ODO. I took a quick look under the hood for him and checked his oil level. It was a little high, and smelled a little like fuel, even though he had just finished a 3 hr drive to come visit me. Oil looked pretty good, but not new, considering that the OLM said 95% left.

I think I have him convinced to change it and was wondering about which oil you all would suggest he use.
The oil cap says 0W-20, but we all know that that's just for CAFE rating. Since he lives in northern FL, and isn't worried about cold weather starts, I suggested that he might think about moving up to a 5W-30.
Would you agree that a move to 5W-30 would be prudent in this case? Any brand stand out? I'm thinking Mobil1 would be the top choice.
Oh yeah, the oil cap does say Dexos required.

He'll likely take it to a nearby Chevy dealer for service. Does anyone know if they just do a topside "suck out" change and never touch the filter? I didn't see a cartridge up top, but didn't look that closely.

Thanks, JG

Anything d1g2 or d1g3 should be fine. Stepping up to 5w30 won't hurt anything and is actually a good idea.

Nothing wrong with M1, but you don't have to pay that much for a quality oil for your Equinox. As long as you see the dexos logo, you're good

🫣
66A8EC84-08E7-40FE-BC86-62EF38F2F690.jpeg

i run 5 30 in mine ,2021 malibu ,m1,vafs, with a wix , napa gold or fram ultra 12060 filter , i had a 2016 that was speced 5 30 , and it loved m1

Hello from west Florida!!
We have a Cruze with the 1.4t engine, 6 speed. We stopped the dealer "lifetime 1/2 off oil changes" when they became 5x$ and looked like the filter was changed every other time.

For the last 35k~ miles we have used 5-20 5-30 10-30 some hm oils, blends, some synthetic with supertech 20k filters fram 10k filters .. If this at all is pertaining to you 530 and the ST 20K seems to be what we like, maxlife/Providence hm 530 and st 20k. we run it 5k+ plan to next filter for 10k

i would make sure it is a dexos1, gen 2 or 3 , gf6a , sn+, those early engines had some issues , sounds like the got it straiightened out now

That year should have a can filter on the bottom, probably a PF64
Impossible to say why the oil looks dirty at 95%, so many possibilities. For what it will cost, a change now will give a good starting point and a chance to let the oil drain for a little extra time.

Dexos oil meeting the OM. If you use 5w30 will that void warranty?
I'd say experiment while the car is on warranty. Turbo'd engines don't like exhaust back pressure. To fix the gasoline smelling oil on a 2014
2L Escape I cut everything off behind the downstream O2 sensor, 2 1/2 inch woven flex, 2 3/4 exhaust pipe, 2 1/2 in and out bottle muffler
then exited the exhaust just in front of the driver's side back tire.
IMO, every engine especially turbo'd ones could benefit from a cat-back exhaust.

As far as the oil? What W grade do you need for cold start protection? Which additive package, SP?

My BIL just picked up a 20121 Chevy Equinox with the 1.5 T engine (6 speed auto), 27,000 miles on the ODO. I took a quick look under the hood for him and checked his oil level. It was a little high, and smelled a little like fuel, even though he had just finished a 3 hr drive to come visit me. Oil looked pretty good, but not new, considering that the OLM said 95% left.

I think I have him convinced to change it and was wondering about which oil you all would suggest he use.
The oil cap says 0W-20, but we all know that that's just for CAFE rating. Since he lives in northern FL, and isn't worried about cold weather starts, I suggested that he might think about moving up to a 5W-30.
Would you agree that a move to 5W-30 would be prudent in this case? Any brand stand out? I'm thinking Mobil1 would be the top choice.
Oh yeah, the oil cap does say Dexos required.

He'll likely take it to a nearby Chevy dealer for service. Does anyone know if they just do a topside "suck out" change and never touch the filter? I didn't see a cartridge up top, but didn't look that closely.

Thanks, JG
I just got a 2022 Chevy Equinox RS last month. It hit the 1600 km (1000 mi) mark. I don't smell any fuel in mine. What is the history of this
Chevy? 27000 mi (44000KM) is a lot of miles for a 1 year old vehicle.

I just got a 2022 Chevy Equinox RS last month. It hit the 1600 km (1000 mi) mark. I don't smell any fuel in mine. What is the history of this
Chevy? 27000 mi (44000KM) is a lot of miles for a 1 year old vehicle.
I figured the same. One thing is for certain, you can't put 27,000 miles on a (say) 1 1/2 year old car by puttering back and forth to the grocery store. So, yeah, highway miles.
Unfortunately, we have no idea of how this used vehicle was driven or maintained. It was a Car Guru's find at a dealership in Brunswick Ga. No dealer fees, but $28,000 out the door delivered!
It wouldn't have been my first pick, but this is his first "retirement" car, so it won't get many miles from here on out. Plus we all know what the used car market is like right now.
A similar car that he found on Carvana had higher miles (nearly 37,000) and they wanted $3000 in dealer fees. No sale.

Normally I’m a ‘what the manual says’ guy…but on these new, fuel diluting small displacement turbos going up to a 5W-30 is a necessary move IMHO. Good call.
Exactly why I went with the 3.6L 2022 Acadia. It's a 5w30 engine to begin with, so I can do pretty much anything I want.
20L pails of Petro-Can Dexos 5w30 are $99 minus canadian tire money, which equates to about $75 USD. M-1 0w40 Dexos is not sold in stores.
I see 5w40 as an option.
The 2L turbo Escape got 50/50 SAE 30 & 15W40 Duron, call it a 20w40. It's a 5w30 engine too. 0w20 in a turbo makes my ***-o-meter go into the red.

Back