Oil Suggestions for 2015 Passat TDI? 5w30 VW 507

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by vq40
No it has nothing to do with driving habits, it has to do with the oil formulation and noack of the Castrol.

It has everything to do with driving habits.

Because you drive so much and I assume spend a lot of time on highway, the vehicle almost never needs to regen. The people that only drive to get milk and Johnny from soccer practice are regening often.

Of course it has everything to do with driving habits.
Plus, he mentioned Castrol's NOACK. I asked him what is it, but no answer. I do not think anyone ever saw NOACK number on LL03.

I'm not going to argue with you. 5 people in my family have TDI's and 3 of them drive in town stop and go traffic, extensive idling and tailpipes are clean as a whistle, and all 5 of them use the Castrol. I've been through over 550 hours of classroom time to be a VW master technician, and about 10 of those hours are regarding lubricants themselves. So I don't have to argue, not prove anything to anyone.

Last edited:
diesel engines are best used for long trips + few short jaunts. drive as the intended purpose of long trips + towing with the great torque a diesel produces or just buy a gasser + save $$$$$

I'm not going to argue with you. 5 people in my family have TDI's and 3 of them drive in town stop and go traffic, extensive idling and tailpipes are clean as a whistle, and all 5 of them use the Castrol. I've been through over 550 hours of classroom time to be a VW master technician, and about 10 of those hours are regarding lubricants themselves. So I don't have to argue, not prove anything to anyone.

But you said it is due to low NOACK of LL03, so care to share what is it so we all know?
Since you went through 550 hours of classroom, can you also explain us why LL03 that is VW 504.00/507.00 approved different from Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 that is ALSO VW 504.00/507.00 approved?

When I can sit down behind a computer and type I will share some information with you. But it will be limited as I can't get into great detail due to company policy.

When I can sit down behind a computer and type I will share some information with you. But it will be limited as I can't get into great detail due to company policy.

LOL, really? I cannot wait for that gem.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Rumor is, since Castrol developed LL-03 with VW, it gots to be better.

In which aspect is better? VW504.00/507.00 is stringent in some aspect, not so stringent in others where other specifications are stringent. LL03 meets ONLY VW504.00/507.00 while Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 met Vw504.00/507.00 among many others.
So, yeah, it is rumor.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Who do you think you are chief? A forum tough guy

Exxon-Mobil doesn't publish NOACK numbers for ESP 5w30. The value of 5.6% is due to Russian collusion.

There is no Russian collusion when it comes to LL-03.

Ok?

While we're waving our manhood around, I am a Bosch authorized common rail systems technician with approximately five years experience building common rail injectors, as well as CP3 and CP4 pumps. Years before that doing mechanical pumps as well.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Who do you think you are chief? A forum tough guy

No I am not. You threw bunch of B S and now you are trying to stay plugged in, but avoid answer.
So, we are all ears. How is LL03 better than any VW504.00/507.00 approved oils (and arguably, it is better than many of them)? But, since you like to look at tail pipes, plus 550hrs of classroom time, I am just asking you to do us all a favor and educate us on that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Exxon-Mobil doesn't publish NOACK numbers for ESP 5w30. The value of 5.6% is due to Russian collusion.

There is no Russian collusion when it comes to LL-03.

Considering that VISOM version of M1 0W40 was 8.7%, that is probably right conclusion.

First off you need to understand something. Oil and fuel in Germany has nothing in common with North American lubricants when it comes to quality. ACEA and API have an an important difference. In Europe, the ACEA does not certify oils. motor oil standards are made with the input of the auto manufacturers themselves who will demand very specific formulation and blends to meet the specific performance requirements and tolerances of their engines. Using the wrong oil will affect the longevity of the engine, for protecting against sludge and deposits, or against the heat. The incompatibility of the chemistry can result in high temperature volatility that will consume oil. In North America, those oil standards represents 400 corporations involved in the production, refinement and distribution in the industry. It sets the minimum standards for motor oils, Second, im not against Mobil products they are excellent, but not for VW/Audi. VW already knows that if you call in with a failed valvetrain, they know it is because of the oil used. If you use the proper oil, there will be no issues with the valvetrain. Even within VW approved oils, but not for that application, you will see a failure of the valvetrain. That particular application is very stringent and very sensitive, and if the product is not approved you will have problems. You have to be sure the oil used is specific to the engine it will be used in.VW has one of the most stringent specs to meet, Its so good Ferrari even uses VW 502.00 for their engines. When I worked at the dealership the VW PD engine we saw a whole lot of engines come in with worn out cam lobes due to improper oil. You know which one didn't cause the cam to wear out, you guessed it the Castrol 505.01 specific. We replaced several DPF's with low mileage due to people not using 507 oil in the car, so i push the Castrol LL03 bc it works and is also a C3 rated oil, and has been tested and approved for this TDI. Third, you say about the ESP being 507 approved as well as other approval's, Beware of the meets or exceeds game. Also keep in mind that in Europe, their fuel quality is way better than ours and their oil changes are for 30,000KM. Even when I worked at Nissan, the CVT transmission fluid is specific, and if it was mixed with other CVT universal fluid guess what happened to the transmission? it didn't make it 20,000 miles. My dad has a 2003 Jetta TDI, and from the first oil change it has had the Castrol Syntec Turbo Diesel 5w40 505.00. now it has 495,000 miles on it and doesn't burn a drop of oil, nor leak a drop of oil. oil changes have been for 10000 miles, fuel filter, and air filter every 20000 miles. most people that have came in with those old ALH TDI leak oil, valve cover gaskets leak, most of them used that universal [censored]. So guess what ill keep using the Castrol in Volkswagens and you can deal with the headaches later down the line using the universal fluids.

https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products?facets%5Bapplication%5D=139&facets%5Bproduct_type%5D=724&facets%5Brange%5D=25

Use of proper oil (502.00) did not prevent EA113 cam follower wear for the HPFP, which when worn through, damages the camshaft and leads to an expensive bill.

The PD engines, TDIclub will disagree. Excessive cam wear has been documented on that forum of people using the "correct" 505.01 oil, which PV 5106 tests, there is no difference between wear scar maximum requirements between 505.00 and 505.01. There is a difference in the Piston Cleanliness test (PV 1452).

Not every market in Europe is specified for the Flexible Service Interval, which is UP TO 30,000 km OCI. It is not a fixed 30,000 km OCI.

VW and Audi issues TSB's for approved oils that has VW's certification....

https://www.anciravolkswagen.com/blogs/949/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Approved-Oil-List.pdf

Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 is on the approved list for 504.00/507.00. No meets or exceeds game.

Last edited:
First off you need to understand something. Oil and fuel in Germany has nothing in common with North American lubricants when it comes to quality. ACEA and API have an an important difference. In Europe, the ACEA does not certify oils. motor oil standards are made with the input of the auto manufacturers themselves who will demand very specific formulation and blends to meet the specific performance requirements and tolerances of their engines. Using the wrong oil will affect the longevity of the engine, for protecting against sludge and deposits, or against the heat. The incompatibility of the chemistry can result in high temperature volatility that will consume oil. In North America, those oil standards represents 400 corporations involved in the production, refinement and distribution in the industry. It sets the minimum standards for motor oils, Second, im not against Mobil products they are excellent, but not for VW/Audi. VW already knows that if you call in with a failed valvetrain, they know it is because of the oil used. If you use the proper oil, there will be no issues with the valvetrain. Even within VW approved oils, but not for that application, you will see a failure of the valvetrain. That particular application is very stringent and very sensitive, and if the product is not approved you will have problems. You have to be sure the oil used is specific to the engine it will be used in.VW has one of the most stringent specs to meet, Its so good Ferrari even uses VW 502.00 for their engines. When I worked at the dealership the VW PD engine we saw a whole lot of engines come in with worn out cam lobes due to improper oil. You know which one didn't cause the cam to wear out, you guessed it the Castrol 505.01 specific. We replaced several DPF's with low mileage due to people not using 507 oil in the car, so i push the Castrol LL03 bc it works and is also a C3 rated oil, and has been tested and approved for this TDI. Third, you say about the ESP being 507 approved as well as other approval's, Beware of the meets or exceeds game. Also keep in mind that in Europe, their fuel quality is way better than ours and their oil changes are for 30,000KM. Even when I worked at Nissan, the CVT transmission fluid is specific, and if it was mixed with other CVT universal fluid guess what happened to the transmission? it didn't make it 20,000 miles. My dad has a 2003 Jetta TDI, and from the first oil change it has had the Castrol Syntec Turbo Diesel 5w40 505.00. now it has 495,000 miles on it and doesn't burn a drop of oil, nor leak a drop of oil. oil changes have been for 10000 miles, fuel filter, and air filter every 20000 miles. most people that have came in with those old ALH TDI leak oil, valve cover gaskets leak, most of them used that universal [censored]. So guess what ill keep using the Castrol in Volkswagens and you can deal with the headaches later down the line using the universal fluids.

https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products?facets%5Bapplication%5D=139&facets%5Bproduct_type%5D=724&facets%5Brange%5D=25

Ok what does this have to do with anything? Edy asked you why you thought one 507 approved oil was better than another, not why 507 is better than not 507.

Please re-read my question and then re-read your post and tell me what that has to do with question I asked? Also, what you wrote, pretty much EVERYONE that know a bit about Euro specifications is aware of it.
Those letters I bolded and increased! Let me repeat myself for fifth time:
YOU SAID that LL03 is better than Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 because of lower NOACK. Now, let me ask fifth (5) time: How is LL03 which is VW 504.00/507.00 approved, better than Mobil1 ESP Formula which is ALSO VW504.00/507.00 approved?
No one mentioned ANYTHING about people using NON-APPROVED oils in tdi. No one mentioned PD engines, no one mentioned EA113 engines.
So, stop B S and either answer question, or just say: i do not know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back