Oil Suggestions for 2015 Passat TDI? 5w30 VW 507

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother bought this Diesel Gate buyback for his new long-distance commute. About 160 miles a day, mostly highway. Cool car, 6 speed manual. I was looking and there wasn't a single 5w30 on the shelf at Walmart that meets this VW 507 spec it calls for. He ordered Castrol Edge Professional OE, 6 quarts for $67 on Amazon. There has to be a cheaper oil on the shelf that will work for this daily? I read elsewhere that Gold bottle OE Edge is the same as the Extended Performance gold bottle, without the UV Dye pre-added. But only the OE claims to meet this 507 spec.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
My brother bought this Diesel Gate buyback for his new long-distance commute. About 160 miles a day, mostly highway. Cool car, 6 speed manual. I was looking and there wasn't a single 5w30 on the shelf at Walmart that meets this VW 507 spec it calls for. He ordered Castrol Edge Professional OE, 6 quarts for $67 on Amazon. There has to be a cheaper oil on the shelf that will work for this daily? I read elsewhere that Gold bottle OE Edge is the same as the Extended Performance gold bottle, without the UV Dye pre-added. But only the OE claims to meet this 507 spec.

Absolutely NOT TRUE!
1. Castrol Edge Extended Performance is oil several light years behind VW504.00/507.00 oils. It is oil for my Toyota Sienna, not Passat TDI.
2. VW504.00/507.00 is hard to find off the shelf, maybe Auto Zone, Pep Boys, AAP, but price is also there with online suppliers.
3. Amazon, FCPEuro, ECSTuning etc are best options.
Which oil:
When Mobil1 5W30 ESP Formula was available, that would be by far my first choice (I used it in BMW X5 35d). But it is not anymore, so I would say any of these VW504.00/507.00: Mobil1, Castrol, Pentosin (this one is really good), Fuchs, Ravenol.

Originally Posted by NothingNew
Originally Posted by edyvw

When Mobil1 5W30 ESP Formula was available, that would be by far my first choice (I used it in BMW X5 35d). But it is not anymore, so I would say any of these VW504.00/507.00: Mobil1, Castrol, Pentosin (this one is really good), Fuchs, Ravenol.

Is this it?
Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP Amazon 12-pack

If 0W-30 would work this is a bit cheaper: Mobil 1 0W-30 ESP Amazon 6-pack

Both would do.
Unfortunately that 5W30 is new version and not as stout as previous version. Still good oil.

I would avoid C2 oil(s).....lower HTHS....

And since it is a "dieselgate buyback" car......expect EGR problems....thats the first thing to fail after a "downgrade"

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kamele0N

And since it is a "dieselgate buyback" car......expect EGR problems....thats the first thing to fail after a "downgrade"

VW is sticking quite an extended warranty on all these cars, but I'm sure it will be de-regulated at some point.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Pennzoil 0w-30 c2/c3. Avoid the mobil 1 0w-30 esp, its not even API SN

And that is relevant how?

It's not, he simply dislikes Mobil
smirk.gif

Mobil 1 have on all others esp oils api SN. Why not on 0w-30 c2/c3 esp? and why not a lower api grade? There are many VW approval oils that carry API SN.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

smirk.gif

How do you know that? I do not dislike Mobil, but i do dislike mobil 1 0w-30 c2/c3. Are you offended if i dislike a mobil1 product?

PP Euro LX 0W-30 (found locally on sale) or Total Quartz INEO Long Life (purchased online) are probably your best bets for a better value 507 oil.

smirk.gif

How do you know that? I do not dislike Mobil, but i do dislike mobil 1 0w-30 c2/c3. Are you offended if i dislike a mobil1 product?

Previous posts.

Please note that:
- the API specs are typically considerably more lenient than most Euro ones
- xW-30 lubricants wishing to seek SN require adherence to the Zinc/Phos limit imposed by that designation, which are significantly lower than found on many Euro lubes. This is why Castrol 0w-30 was never API SN
- The above limit doesn't apply to xW-40 grades, which is why you'll see SN on them
- Most Euro marques don't call for API anything, so pursing it for a Euro-only lube, particularly if it requires compromises, seems silly

Yeah... i know about API SN Zink/Phos limits. But thats not the subject as the oil is a mid sap oil. So whats the next? Cam wear?

Mobil 1 have on all others esp oils api SN. Why not on 0w-30 c2/c3 esp? and why not a lower api grade? There are many VW approval oils that carry API SN.

OK, again, how is that relevant for this application?

Yeah... i know about API SN Zink/Phos limits. But thats not the subject as the oil is a mid sap oil. So whats the next? Cam wear?

Cam wear was design issue on VW vehicles. It was not oil issue. People found out that they can extend life of cams on PD TDI engines buy using heavier oil.
You are talking about API SN, which is stringent as requirements on average Olive oil that you can buy in grocery store.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kamele0N

There is NO APPROVAL for ACEA specifications.
Oils that are C3 and C2 are HTHS 3.5 and above, but meet fuel efficiency requirements of C2. That means that composition of those oils is really good to have such high HTHS but still fuel efficiency of C2.

Do you?

The Phosphorous limit for C2/C3 is 0.09%
https://www.lubrizol.com/Lubricant-and-Fuel-Additives/Engine-Oil-Additives/ACEA/Sequences/ACEA-C2-10

The Phosphorous limit for SN is 0.08%:
https://www.infineum.com/media/80723/api-engine-oil-classifications.pdf

Mobil1 0w-30 c2/c3 have 0.08% Phosphorous. All the other Mobil 1 oils carrying api spec.

Do you?

The Phosphorous limit for C2/C3 is 0.09%
https://www.lubrizol.com/Lubricant-and-Fuel-Additives/Engine-Oil-Additives/ACEA/Sequences/ACEA-C2-10

The Phosphorous limit for SN is 0.08%:
https://www.infineum.com/media/80723/api-engine-oil-classifications.pdf

Mobil1 0w-30 c2/c3 have 0.08% Phosphorous. All the other Mobil 1 oils carrying api spec.

OK, and?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back