Oil Suggestions for 1990 Thunderbird Super Coupe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1990 Thunderbird Super Coupe that just rolled over to 100,000 miles a few weeks ago. It is a supercharged Ford 3.8L V6, running 15 PSI boost. I'll be due for an oil change in a few weeks, I'm currently debating between Maxlife Synthetic 5W-30 and Penzoil Platinum 5W-30. Price isn't really a big deal to me because synthetic is only 6 more dollars for 5 quarts than regular oil and 3000 miles will take me at least 4 months. I drive 9 miles to work each way, most of which is rural and highway. I occasionally take the car up to the drag strip making WOT 1/4 mile runs, which the car is running pretty hot. Recommendations are wanted! Thanks.

M1 HM.

Consider nothing else.
grin2.gif

I think the 'bird will like it...

I had an 89 Tbird SC and it made it well over 150k soley on M1 10w30. Only reason it didnt go further is new owner abused it and blew the headgasket.

I'm not really a big fan of Mobil 1. In many UOA the Iron always seems pretty high with M1, doesn't seem like coincidence to me. I really feel that M1 is very overrated, and is very expensive. Also, I don't believe head gasket failure is from abuse, they have notoriously bad head gaskets, my car is almost mint and has had one replaced. The stock exhaust doesn't flow well enough so all the boost seems to speed up the failure. But anyways, back to oil.

Originally Posted By: Jason2007
I had an 89 Tbird SC and it made it well over 150k soley on M1 10w30. Only reason it didnt go further is new owner abused it and blew the headgasket.

The 3.8's were known head gasket eaters.

Dad popped one in his 88 Thunderbird 3.8

Anyways, I'd run Maxlife Synthetic 5W-30 if it was my car.

Those are pretty much the 3 I'm considering now, I have no idea which of the three I should pick.

Yes I know my Wal-Mart carries the Maxlife synthetic surprisingly. I think it is $22 for 5 quarts which is pretty reasonable. So I'm thinking I'll get that. It seems like the Maxlife additive package is tough to beat.

Originally Posted By: lanteau
I'm not really a big fan of Mobil 1. In many UOA the Iron always seems pretty high with M1, doesn't seem like coincidence to me. I really feel that M1 is very overrated, and is very expensive. Also, I don't believe head gasket failure is from abuse, they have notoriously bad head gaskets, my car is almost mint and has had one replaced. The stock exhaust doesn't flow well enough so all the boost seems to speed up the failure. But anyways, back to oil.

I'd use PP 5W30 in that car, I'm not a Mobil 1 fan either. The PP will serve you well.

AD

I'd buy whichever of the ones you've proposed that is on sale at the time, because with 3k mile OCI's, it won't make any difference ...

I also have the 3.8L, and i my self use Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, and a FL-400S filter. I have a little over 100K, and just switched over to syn at 96K miles, I have NO real oil usage, (1/2 QT over 4K miles), I'm gonna keep it on syn for here on out.. 5K oil changes.

I'd with the Maxlife syn. A bit thicker, and more 'robust' for high-rpm use the car will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back