Oil suggestions for 02' Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I have a modded 2002 Mustang GT with full bolt-ons no FI(yet)
56.gif
There is just over 100k miles on it and doesn't burn any oil. I change the oil yearly and put about 4000 miles on it a year, most of them are driven hard or just cruising on the highway. I also plan on taking it to the track {just need some stickier tires) I live in texas so its hot all year long and and if we are lucky 3 months of winter. This is my first run with PP, I had RP the last few changes. Im thinking about running RP again this change, but I would like suggestions from you guys.

The RP should have more ZDDP - if you think your racing would need it, OTW both should be fine for the steet. optionally (evil BP?!) Castrol Edge 5w-30, which is actually marginal 20 grade, is a very slightly thick(er) option.

If you could afford it, I don't think there's much anything better than Royal Purple XPR. I like their 5w20 and 10w40 especially as those are both designed to handle exotic fuels (methanol, nitrous, etc) and I have a methanol/water injection kit sitting in my garage I want to put on.

Anyhow, the test I seen, this oil pretty much dominated everything. It was a wear test where they used some kind of machine to put lbs of pressure down on a rotating bearing or some thing and the RP XPR blew everything away. Taking 8lbs and leaving only a 1mm scar only after removing the oil from the bath. Most every other oil couldn't go past 2 lbs and left 8mm scars and that's with the oil in the bath. Amazing stuff.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Anyhow, the test I seen, this oil pretty much dominated everything. It was a wear test where they used some kind of machine to put lbs of pressure down on a rotating bearing or some thing and the RP XPR blew everything away.

The one arm bandit?

I believe that plain old household bleach bows everything away in that test with that type of tester.

Since the Mustang is raced, modified, and lives in heat, a thicker oil than the factory recommendation is going to be very welcome.
If you go FI, consider an oil temp gauge - evn now it would help you see what is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back