Oil Suggestion For Mega-High Mileage 5.2L Jeep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello -

I am new to this forum, but have been reading for some time. Just wondering what would be a good oil for my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's a 5.2L 318 with 164,000 miles. Seems to be running great still – bought it from a friend of mine a few months ago just to mash around with in the winter.

God knows what has been used in this thing in the past....it's got Quaker State 10w30 dino oil in it right now with Quaker State filter.

It doesn't smoke, burn oil, leak, and gets 17mpg in mixed driving still. Idles smooth and quiet still, so I think it has a little bit of life left in it.

What would be a good oil for this thing to ensure that it keeps on rolling? I was going to use either Mobil 1 High-Mileage 10w30 Synthetic or Valvoline Max Life 10w30 in the maroon bottle, just to clean this thing up a little and make sure the gaskets keep things sealed up for the time being.

Is this over kill and a waste of money, or am I better off just sticking to regular oil?

The high mileage oil might help to prevent future leaks. But my dad ran his '03 4.7 Ram to 140,000 miles on Mobil 1 on 7000 mile oci's with orange can of death filters. Same with my grandpa's '97 z-71 with 340,000 miles, hours and hours every week idling on 100 degree oil fields, and still going strong when sold. I'm going to start running mobil 1 hm 10w-40 on sunday inmy 350 powered '72 c10. It burns a small amount of oil which slowly ruins plugs and also leaks like every other sbc. I'll post if it makes a difference on either problem. I would run the mobil high mileage if I were you

Hahhaha....orange can of death filters. Why does everyone bag on Fram so much? Are they really THAT bad? It doesn't seem to me like anyone has lunched a motor from using a Fram filter. I was going to pick up a Mopar filter for it when I chaned it. Are Mopar filters much better?

I always used to use Fram, but after reading on here, I stopped using Frams on my 07 Mustang GT, and started using Motorcrafts.

welcome2.gif

Any oil will keep it rolling. I would probably use a synth if you're encountering single digit temps for the winter. If you're just using it primarily in the winter, then I would go with a cheaper synth that isn't targeted for extended drains since they cost less but are worth it for the price difference in some place that has a protracted cold season.

It may have lots of life left in it. Now is the time where major components start to fatigue progressively.

I'd probably do an Auto-Rx treatment, then determine what my service interval is going to be for it. If you're not going to put on much mileage on it, then it's harder to get your money's worth out of expensive oils. OTOH, if it's just one oil change a year, costs really aren't part of the equation (when you're talking $10
21.gif
)

If you use something that another car in the family fleet requires, you can reduce your stash to fewer grades.

Thats one fine Mopar motor, I'm sure its roller everything under there, 160k is not too extreme for that motor, I would run Max Life blend 10w-30 or 10w-40, I tried this oil and like it, and its priced right at Walmart when compared to conventional oil. :2cents:

Originally Posted By: AWESOMO4000
Hahhaha....orange can of death filters. Why does everyone bag on Fram so much? Are they really THAT bad?

Well, Fram orange filters won't just kill an engine, BUT, if you could choose between a steak dinner and healthy salad, against eating a big bag of Cheetoes for the same price, wouldn't you choose the steak? No the Cheetoes wouldn't "kill" you, but the steak and salad for the same price is healthier, and much better buy.

Welcome to the forum!!!

Any of those oils listed would work great.

As you read through this forum you will see tons of different views on oil. With today's oils its very hard to go wrong. I like synthetic oil and do longer oil change intervals. But i drive a lot, with few short trips.

length of time you intend to keep your jeep, and the type of driving you do will impact the amount of miles you put on your oil whether you use synthetic or regular oil.

Personally i like to use synthetic oil for environmental as well as the above mentioned reasons

164k may be considered high mileage to some, but it's definitely not mega-high! To me, it's just broken in.

I'd use a 5W-30 in whatever brand you're comfortable with. I'd only go thicker if it's consuming oil.

Hahhaha....orange can of death filters. Why does everyone bag on Fram so much? Are they really THAT bad?..

Well, they ain't that good...

Originally Posted By: Crustacean
Thats one fine Mopar motor, I'm sure its roller everything under there, 160k is not too extreme for that motor, I would run Max Life blend 10w-30 or 10w-40, I tried this oil and like it, and its priced right at Walmart when compared to conventional oil. :2cents:

I agree with the Maxlife blend 10W30. It is really a great oil and would work well in your application...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Hahhaha....orange can of death filters. Why does everyone bag on Fram so much? Are they really THAT bad?..

Well, they ain't that good...

yes there that bad!!

I vote no high mileage engine oil unless there are leaks. Why swell seals if it doesnt leak? My car has 130k miles and I'm not considering any high mileage oil yet. I just don't see the point.

I'd just run a quality 10w30 dino oil in the 318 and it will live to be older than you are. That is one durable engine.

I just helped my friend do an oil change on his 360 today, (2001 RAM 4x4 1500) Valvoline conventional 10w30 with a Napa Gold filter. Good to go.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I vote no high mileage engine oil unless there are leaks. Why swell seals if it doesnt leak?

Well for one, one gets more then just seal conditioners,you get a better base oil, boosted additives(anti-wear/detergents) better HTHS,just a more robust oil all away around.

so why vote no??

Originally Posted By: daman
SLCraig said:
so why vote no??

I guess its not like a typical BITOG'er to say, but it's just not necessary. Valvoline conv. jugs are on sale at Wallyworld for $10 (CDN) and its going work just fine, thats all..

Is anything necessary? some people are out for a oil that performs better then the average and don't care about price.

Originally Posted By: rpn453
164k may be considered high mileage to some, but it's definitely not mega-high! To me, it's just broken in.

I'd use a 5W-30 in whatever brand you're comfortable with. I'd only go thicker if it's consuming oil.

Agree 100%

Until youre well over 200k, youre not even "high".

Originally Posted By: Crustacean
Thats one fine Mopar motor, I'm sure its roller everything under there,

I think this was one of MOPAR'S enduring designs that needed few mods to operate in increasingly challenging emissions requirements. It's allegedly unchanged much from 1967-2002

318.gif

If you like the QS 10W-30, just strick with that. It's an excellent oil. Something similar to that is probably what got it to 164k miles in the first place.

If you want to get into the high-mileage oils, Maxlife is a good one, like many here have said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back