oil sug. high mi 351m

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 78 Bronco that's been down for a year and I'm about to get it running agian. Last time I drove it(oct)it smoked a bit. Anyone have suggestions for an oil? How do the new "high milage" oils stack up? I know it probably wont 'cure' the bad valve seals but just curious on inputs.

after reading about the RX....I'm definatly going to try that out. Any reason for your penz suggestion? Just personal preference?

Well, according to valvoline's MSDS sheet, maxlife no longer contains esters for seal swelling purposes......which leaves pennzoil, and castrol, as the most common HM oils. From what I have seen.......pennzoil is tops among standard conventionals, so I would give it a shot first. If you choose castrol HM, noone can fault you.
cheers.gif

For your climate, at least a 15W-40, or even a 20W-50. Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 would be a good start.

I would use the 15W-40 in winter and a 20W-50 in summer, (if it starting using a bit).

If you use a 5W or 10w-30 you will be constantly topping up with oil.

offtopic.gif
What's the m stand for? I think we only have 351 clevo's over here. I've owned Ford's since 1969.

Dave

[ April 29, 2004, 04:20 AM: Message edited by: DavoNF ]

quote:

Originally posted by DavoNF:

offtopic.gif
What's the m stand for? I think we only have 351 clevo's over here. I've owned Ford's since 1969.

I've never heard of a 351M myself. There was a 351W (for the Windsor, Ontario plant)

Guys (Davo, and Patman, particularly Davo),

There was a tall deck version of the Windsor that was available for a while, in 351, and 400 c.i.

The 400M was available in some of the early Fairlanes down here, as was the 351M to a much lesser extent.

cool.gif
The 351M is a derivative of the 351 Cleveland, as is the 400M. Taller deck and uses the big-block 429/460 bellhousing pattern. Lo-po late 70's emissions motor. The 351 Windsor is different.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyO:
cool.gif
The 351M is a derivative of the 351 Cleveland, as is the 400M. Taller deck and uses the big-block 429/460 bellhousing pattern. Lo-po late 70's emissions motor. The 351 Windsor is different.

Yep and the 351W is in a separate engine forum at the Ford Truck Enthusiasts site than the 351M and Cleveland. They group them like this:

335 Series--351M, 400, 351 Cleveland

221, 260, 289, 302, 351w

My understanding is that the all around best 351 for general purpose is the 351W, partly because I think the "W" is the only 351 Ford produced in the last 15 or so years, so parts would be more available, particularly at the boneyard.

[ April 29, 2004, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: TallPaul ]

Well, glad we got the 'M' part cleared up. Sorry I couldn't chime on that...had to sleep and work. Thanks for the input, I think I will do the Delo(easy find at wally). No opinon on the BG stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back