Oil strategy for a couple of Fords?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was recently coerced into volunteering to do the maintenance on two vehicles owned by the small private school my son attends. They have a '94 "Club Wagon" (basically a Ford E250 van) 5.8L, and an '87 Ford Ranger p/u 2.0L. The van is used for field trips, taking the basketball team to away games, etc. The p/u is used to carry hay and horse supplies (the school has an associated riding academy), but no towing. Neither vehicle sees more than 7.5K a year. In Florida, they'll see lots of summer heat, and never a cold start at less than 40F.

Will I be OK just laying in a supply of FL-1As and whatever 15W-40 is on sale in gallon jugs (Delo, Delvac 1300, Castrol RX), and going with a six month OCI in both vehicles? And, anyone know the sump capacities of these two engines off the top of their heads?

quote:

Originally posted by Mike242GT:
Will I be OK just laying in a supply of FL-1As and whatever 15W-40 is on sale in gallon jugs (Delo, Delvac 1300, Castrol RX), and going with a six month OCI in both vehicles?

Well, 15W-40 sounds like a diesel-spec oil (with an additive package geared toward keeping higher soot levels in suspensions, etc.), and as well as some of them do in gasoline engines, one wouldn't be my first choice here.

Also, I tend to stick with one brand of oil that both vehicles like. I'd go with a well-respected DeadDino 10W-30 that one can buy at WalMart, Costco, etc. I've never used one, so I'll leave it to others to recommend one.

Six-month Oil Change Intervals sound good to me.

I'd be tempted to just go with a 10W-30 oil like Chevron, GTX, Morotcraft, or Pennzoil. You could substitute a quart of the 10W-40 with the 10W-30.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike242GT:

Will I be OK just laying in a supply of FL-1As and whatever 15W-40 is on sale in gallon jugs (Delo, Delvac 1300, Castrol RX), and going with a six month OCI in both vehicles? And, anyone know the sump capacities of these two engines off the top of their heads?

YES
grin.gif

The 351 in the van should take about 5 qts. 15w40 would be wonderful for it, esp. in the heat.

The 2.0, should be about 4 qts.,maybe 4.5, however, I have not owned one, so I could be wrong. With it being 17 yrs old, it should have loosened up enough to take the 15w40 without a problem. May also help with any consumption problems.

I just got rid of my 94 F150 w/5.8l and it took 5 qts. I think it's the exact same engine as the vans. I have a hard time with the whole 15w40 thing. Why not a good 5w40? Wouldn't it have much better cold pumping properties? I realize the temps there are very mild but I still think there is something to getting the oil around quickly. I was running M1 5w30 in my for the last 18,000 miles, sold it with 105k. I did one UOA and it showed good numbers and the truck started quicker than almost any other car I've ever owned.

cool.gif
I keep an eye on my church's van, 93 Club Wagon with a whopping 28,000 miles on it. Gets the recommended 10w-30 and an FL1-A every 6 months. It runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back