Oil still usable?

I have a Kubota diesel compact tractor that I use Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic oil for. The last time I changed the oil I bought extra so I have an unopened 5 qt jug and another 5 qt jug that I used about half the oil out of. I know the unopened jug is still good but I'm not sure about the one that was opened. It's been in a cabinet in my shop since last fall. I know brake fluid that has been opened and left is no good as it absorbs moisture. Is unused oil stored in a container with the cap on still good? I know it may sound like a stupid question but I usually buy oil for my vehicles in 1qt bottles and use them as needed. Thanks

I have a Kubota diesel compact tractor that I use Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic oil for. The last time I changed the oil I bought extra so I have an unopened 5 qt jug and another 5 qt jug that I used about half the oil out of. I know the unopened jug is still good but I'm not sure about the one that was opened. It's been in a cabinet in my shop since last fall. I know brake fluid that has been opened and left is no good as it absorbs moisture. Is unused oil stored in a container with the cap on still good? I know it may sound like a stupid question but I usually buy oil for my vehicles in 1qt bottles and use them as needed. Thanks

Shake the container well and dump it in!

Just my $0.02

I often use on an open quart of oil for a couple years that I use when filling squirt cans or I need to add oil to my mowers. I've got unopened oil in my garage (not temperature controlled) that has been there for 25+ years that I use when I do oil changes in my cars. As long as the cap has been on it where no dirt/trash can get in it will be fine. Lots of people worry about leaving oil in the crankcase of a car that isn't driven much for more than 6 months or a year. I've got a '97 Ford that only has 41K miles on it I change the oil every 5K miles, often several years between changes. What's the difference in the oil sitting in the oil pan and sitting in plastic bottles on a shelf in my garage.

As long as the cap is sealed up good and the temperature swings are not too extreme, it will keep for years. Yes it's a good idea to shake lubricating oils periodically, every 4-6 months is fine.
Brake fluid also will keep if it's not too old, the cap is airtight and the container has not been opened too many times... it's after opening the container several times that the moisture creeps into the fluid.

Back