Oil stays clean

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad had a Subaru SVX with the six cylinder engine. He used Mobile one synthetic. And a mobile one synthetic filter. He changed his oil at 8000 miles. He showed me how the oil looked like new.We laughed about it,I poured it into an old M1 gallon jug and you couldn't tell it was used. His car was like this the whole time he owned it. Why? Did it stay so clean? You had to look hard to see it on the dipstick.
I later used the oil after throwing some other new oil I got free, In with it.

On a brand new gas engine the oil if it is doing its job will look dirty. I noticed the cheap oils sometimes stay looking new because they do not clean as well. Mobil 1 although not my favorite oil should be decent at cleaning

I had a propane powered Van once. The oil would darken only slightly but never blackened.
When the piston travels the rings vapourize oil. Ive never seen a gasoline engine that didn't blacken the oil over time.
So I don't have an answer to this one.

My old '80 Mazda Rx-7 (rotary) was that way and '81 Mazda GLC and '88 Merc Tracer ( Mazda) were also much like that. I never had a good idea why either. Those were run on Havoline 10-30 conventional. They were all great cars for us with the last two being driven for many years to 150-160k before donating them.

Hello, I got it! Your Dad changed the oil before you got there. He wanted to brag about his clean, sporty car to his son (or just blow your mind).

Also, he knew you were going to reuse it and didn't want to send you or your friends off with old, dirty oil.

A true BITOG 'Dad hero'. America needs more of them. Kira

Prius is really easy on oil and was only slightly tan at 5k from new. Took it to 10k and it blackened up. Something is not adding up.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, I got it! Your Dad changed the oil before you got there. He wanted to brag about his clean, sporty car to his son (or just blow your mind).

Also, he knew you were going to reuse it and didn't want to send you or your friends off with old, dirty oil.

A true BITOG 'Dad hero'. America needs more of them. Kira

thumbsup2.gif

Cot a Camry which won't darken oil much , even Rotela T6, the engine doesn't use any and just seems smoother than another Camry in the family with the same 4 Cyl with about the samme miles which does tend to add some color. It's got well over 100K on it and I doubt there is anything wrong with it.

Subaru six cylinder.
I figured maybe the emission equipment and everything was just right. Maybe it was a very efficient engine. He only did one mod and that was to unbolt the muffler and put a straight pipe into cone shaped ends on it. It sounded pretty crazy.I don't remember what weight oil he used. He had a Prius and the oil barely showed color. So no he wasn't playing with me.
The oil in my van stays a brown color that you can see through until a lot of miles are on it.
Yeah,I'm trying to get over my oil color thing i was brain washed about. It's tough.Since my van doesn't use oii. I try not to look at my dip stick.

Last edited:
Not all that unusual. If we go by color/transparency of the oil, my 2007 Prius OCI is 9,500 miles on Edge 5w/30. When I drain it, it is dark honey colored. You can see "through" it still. It is far from black. My last UOA, Blackstone said to ride it out to 11,000 miles.

However, on our 2010 Ford Escape with the v6 engine, at 5,000 miles, the oil is charcoal black. Never had a UOA on this one.

Neither engine has sludge. Both use very high quality synthetics (Amsoil & Castrol Edge).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
The oil should be black, so you must have a problem
REALLY?

Originally Posted By: ron17571
My dad had a Subaru SVX with the six cylinder engine. He used Mobile one synthetic. And a mobile one synthetic filter. He changed his oil at 8000 miles. He showed me how the oil looked like new.We laughed about it,I poured it into an old M1 gallon jug and you couldn't tell it was used. His car was like this the whole time he owned it. Why? Did it stay so clean? You had to look hard to see it on the dipstick.
I later used the oil after throwing some other new oil I got free, In with it.

Its because your engine is that clean inside, mine do the same thing, many miles and the oil is golden still.

Mobil is an outstanding oil for keeping engines clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back