Oil stashes..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SGT392
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
In the rare event you had a fire in your garage/storage, could having an oil stash a) be problematic for fire personnel and b) be a problem when it comes time to file an insurance claim? I was going to ask my agent this but I didn't want to put on record that I keep gallons and gallons of oil on my property.

Why do people do this, is my question? I get it with ammunition, etc. but in what catastrophic situation will you be able to buy enough gasoline/diesel to need an oil change, where you also cannot find the oil at WalMart to perform said oil change?

In my case my company got bought out and had a couple leftover 55 gallon drums of delo xle 10w-30. This oil was either going to be forgotten about or thrown away.....so obviously I couldn't let that happen so they ended up at my house. I will say the oil in the drums would fair better in a fire than some plastic bottles would. I won't have to buy oil for a extremely long time lol

I would run that 10w30 every summer up here... that's a real score!

Originally Posted by SGT392
Originally Posted by Ws6
In the rare event you had a fire in your garage/storage, could having an oil stash a) be problematic for fire personnel and b) be a problem when it comes time to file an insurance claim? I was going to ask my agent this but I didn't want to put on record that I keep gallons and gallons of oil on my property.

Why do people do this, is my question? I get it with ammunition, etc. but in what catastrophic situation will you be able to buy enough gasoline/diesel to need an oil change, where you also cannot find the oil at WalMart to perform said oil change?

In my case my company got bought out and had a couple leftover 55 gallon drums of delo xle 10w-30. This oil was either going to be forgotten about or thrown away.....so obviously I couldn't let that happen so they ended up at my house. I will say the oil in the drums would fair better in a fire than some plastic bottles would. I won't have to buy oil for a extremely long time lol

I respect that, but this has to be a very rare thing.

For now, I have to use petroleum-based fuels and lubricants. I have a modest stash of oil sale & rebated bargains because I get some minor satisfaction from screwing as much margin as I can out of oil companies and their myriad middle-men.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Engine oil isn't considered flammable but it will burn and the fumes it can give off can be a 'concern' to firefighters.

Sure as heck will burn and if I'm not mistaken using water to put it out is useless and can actually propagate the fire...ever seen oil burn sitting on water, it sure does.

By flammable, from a 'chemical' or industry term, I don't mean it doesn't burn, I mean it doesn't 'explode' like gasoline. Yes, it burns, but so does "wood". People generally don't call wood flammable in this same context.

In the case of a few quarts or a few gallons burning, I suspect they can deal with it with water. If it were a larger amount, yeah, that can pose an issue with putting it out and foam or other methods would be required.

Engine oil isn't considered flammable but it will burn and the fumes it can give off can be a 'concern' to firefighters.

Sure as heck will burn and if I'm not mistaken using water to put it out is useless and can actually propagate the fire...ever seen oil burn sitting on water, it sure does.

By flammable, from a 'chemical' or industry term, I don't mean it doesn't burn, I mean it doesn't 'explode' like gasoline. Yes, it burns, but so does "wood". People generally don't call wood flammable in this same context.

In the case of a few quarts or a few gallons burning, I suspect they can deal with it with water. If it were a larger amount, yeah, that can pose an issue with putting it out and foam or other methods would be required.

Fair points...ðŸ‘

The most oil I ever stashed was 7 x 5-quart jugs. 5 for the car/truck and 2 for the motos. Currently I have 5 jugs... 3 for the car/truck and 2 for the motos. I'm not a hoarder but I like rebates when they come around, it's a huge & ridiculous saving and that's what I really like... saving. Sometimes I have to consciously force myself not to buy more oil when a rebate comes along but I already have plenty.

For fuel, I store up to 12 gallons of gasoline: 10 gallons for the truck and 2 for the motos, all in approved fuel containers stored far away from the electric water heater which is the only constant source of heat in my garage. I hate visiting gas stations and I often get up to $1 discount per gallon, so I load up the jugs with as much gas as possible.

Never gave any of this a 2nd thought regarding fire safety or municipal code infraction, still not concerned after reading this thread.
Those with commercial quantities may be in violation but that's your business, as long as you don't live next door to me
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back