Oil spout

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this red oil spout for normal oil. You screw it on and can turn it upside down - then twist it open and the oil comes out. The synthetic containers have a larger opening. All the larger spouts I have seen (like the yellow one) work on things like a gallon container of coolant or washer fluid but not on my Mobil 1 containers. Anyone seen a spout that works on Mobil 1? Jeff
 -

I don't use anything, less chance for contmaination. I just got really good pouring it directly from the bottel with out spilling a drop.
smile.gif
But getting that good I must have spilled several qts all over the engine!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
Is a funnel really that hard to use?
tongue.gif

The problem with "regular" funnels is you'll leave it out somewhere, come back later to use it, and it's full or dirt, dust, and other assorted goodies...for us oil junkies, even after washing the thing out, any insolubles entering the engine (that we can keep out) is NOT ACCEPTABLE!

So now, if I have to, I'll use those nifty paper funnels...disposable, so you'll always have a nice and clean one read to use.

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
Is a funnel really that hard to use?
tongue.gif

Ever changed the oil in a mid engine Porsche Boxster? You would know why I ask. We fill it up in the rear trunk through a spring loaded spout.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

The problem with "regular" funnels is you'll leave it out somewhere, come back later to use it, and it's full or dirt, dust, and other assorted goodies...for us oil junkies, even after washing the thing out, any insolubles entering the engine (that we can keep out) is NOT ACCEPTABLE!

That's why for the longest time I'd spend 99 cents and buy a new funnel with each oil change, and then chuck it out!
smile.gif

But after everyone on here laughed at me, I started cleaning them out with brake cleaner, then wiping them down and I stick them in a box upside down so they don't get dusty. I also check them over and wipe them down before using them again. I do prefer to not use a funnel if I can though, on my wife's car I can do this, but if I try it on mine I'm sure to spill a lot.

And if trying to pour oil out of a one gallon jug, a funnel is pretty much mandatory. I tried pouring oil from a big jug into my mom's car this past fall and spilled at least 1/4 of a quart all over her engine.
pat.gif

You can wash out a 2 liter soda bottle really well, cut the top off, air dry, and use that for a disposable funnel.

Usually I can do fairly well pouring out of the bottle once I get started. That is another advantage of the gallon or larger bottles, only one full bottle to start. With the quarts, I do my best with the first one, and then cut it off to make a new, disposable funnel each time. I also put down a rag around the oil filler to catch the little that I inevitably spill. There are also paper disposable funnels.

I wipe out the funnel after using it and stuff a paper towel in it to keep it clean, then stick it in a ZipLock plastic bag. Works pretty well. Putting a funnel in a box would not keep it clean in my garage, sawdust gets everywhere.

John

quote:

Originally posted by John K:
I wipe out the funnel after using it and stuff a paper towel in it to keep it clean, then stick it in a ZipLock plastic bag. Works pretty well. Putting a funnel in a box would not keep it clean in my garage, sawdust gets everywhere.

I guess I should've been more specific, the box I put it into has a lid I can close, and I put it inside my house in the hall closet.
smile.gif
I like the Ziploc bag idea though, I've got a bunch of the big ones that I'm sure these funnels would fit into!

biggthumbcoffe.gif

Jeff, my large yellow oil nozzle works just fine on my M1 quart bottles. Got it at AutoZone years ago. Looks just like yours but without the light-colored rim on the bottom.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
And if trying to pour oil out of a one gallon jug, a funnel is pretty much mandatory. I tried pouring oil from a big jug into my mom's car this past fall and spilled at least 1/4 of a quart all over her engine.
pat.gif
I even got good with the 5qt jugs and don't spill a drop,
grin.gif
it will even give you a little arm work out as you slowly pour the oil!

Note, pouring out of any bottle or can with the opening on one side, goes better if you keep the opening on the top so air can get in. some of your oil bottles even show it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back