Oil specs: Toughest to Easiest to pass (list)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What seems to have been overlooked here is that the "superior" oils could be "D" performers as well and in fact could be of less quality than the "C" API oils.

I am in no way saying that Super Tech is a "D" or "C" oil, I think it has proven itself to be as good as, if not better than, the name brand oils. We have seen UOA after UOA where ST has shown very good results.

We have also seen the "C" performing
smirk.gif
API oils allow engines to go 2-3 hundred thousand miles with no oil related issues. Would the "superior" oils do this? Probably but they most likely wouldn't do any better.

Since most cars on the road can get to 3-4 hundred thousand miles out of a low "performing"
confused.gif
API oil, why do they need to pay extra for a "superior" oil that wont give any better results?

Originally Posted By: motorguy222
What seems to have been overlooked here is that the "superior" oils could be "D" performers as well and in fact could be of less quality than the "C" API oils.

Agreed. Certification is pass/fail. So, who gets the A and who gets the marginal pass?

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: motorguy222

Agreed. Certification is pass/fail. So, who gets the A and who gets the marginal pass?

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: blackman777
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Wait, am I wasting my money on Premium in my Subbie? .....

.....The Fit get good old regular and using something "better" is not better.

Well there are two kinds of gasoline: The gasolines that are equivalent to "D grade students" and just barely pass API & EPA minimums while leaving deposits on your injectors. Or there's the gasolines that meet Top Tier standards and are recommended by the manufacturers.

Yes you can go with API/EPA minimums and gamble the injectors will survive long enough to trade to the next sucker. But me, being the type that drives cars until they die, prefer the gasoline that passes the tougher spec.
smile.gif
Ditto with oil.

Remember this when you state there is no need to use Top Tier gasoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back