Oil spec

How does one knows which ceritifications, licenses or approvals is consider better than the other? And what do each tests for? Example: MB vs VW vs Porsche? Is there a source you guys use to compare?

How does one knows which ceritifications, licenses or approvals is consider better than the other? Example: MB vs VW vs Porsche?
You could read the testing protocols if you can find them.

I've posted the A40 protocol on here before, it is pretty impressive, you can find it using the search function.

You could read the testing protocols if you can find them.

I've posted the A40 protocol on here before, it is pretty impressive, you can find it using the search function.
Thank you. The question is what source(s) are you guys using to determine the testing protocols?

Using what the mfg recommends works well . especially with the Euro oils . The Euro oils seem to be "tougher" that the SAE passenger vehicle oils

Last edited:
Lubrizol - Relative Performance Tool

More about relative performance within the same industry spec, but still interesting to look at.

Lubrizol - Relative Performance Tool

More about relative performance within the same industry spec, but still interesting to look at.
Yes, not really designed to compare different specs to each other (and states as much) from different OEM's, but it does show the focus that each manufacturer puts into each area, so that's useful.

Reactions: SR5
How does one knows which ceritifications, licenses or approvals is consider better than the other? And what do each tests for? Example: MB vs VW vs Porsche? Is there a source you guys use to compare?
What do you mean by "better"? Each spec is better than the others for its intended application. And comparing spec-to-spec is often difficult because each one will use tests that do not appear in the others so there's no chance to compare performance across a consistent testing programme.

What do you mean by "better"? Each spec is better than the others for its intended application. And comparing spec-to-spec is often difficult because each one will use tests that do not appear in the others so there's no chance to compare performance across a consistent testing programme.
Weasley, your a man who knows a lot. Talking specs, how close is a new API SP & ILSAC GF-6 oil to a Dexos1-Gen2 oil? Assuming the same viscosity grade.
Thanks for any insight you can give.

Weasley, your a man who knows a lot. Talking specs, how close is a new API SP & ILSAC GF-6 oil to a Dexos1-Gen2 oil? Assuming the same viscosity grade.
Thanks for any insight you can give.
It's a tricky one to compare - the dexos specs use a mix of API-type and ACEA-type engine tests, as well as a fair few GM-specific tests. For the engine tests that are common to API/ILSAC and dexos1g2, the dexos spec is slightly tougher in the Sequence VG (sludge and varnish) and matches SP for fuel economy (ILSAC demands better FE). All other common tests are equal in demands.

Overkill and SR5 already gave me directions on my question. I appreciate them for that. This thread may be closed.

It's a tricky one to compare - the dexos specs use a mix of API-type and ACEA-type engine tests, as well as a fair few GM-specific tests. For the engine tests that are common to API/ILSAC and dexos1g2, the dexos spec is slightly tougher in the Sequence VG (sludge and varnish) and matches SP for fuel economy (ILSAC demands better FE). All other common tests are equal in demands.
Thank you for that, good to hear the view from somebody who knows.

Back