Oil Spec STJLR 51.5122

Thank you for the details!
VW 508.00/509.00 is not the best approval. MB 229.71 is hands-down the best.

Ultimately, how premium an oil is determined by its resistance to oxidation, which in turn determines its performance in virtually all areas, especially the longevity and deposits. That said, MB specs champion oxidative performance with a plethora of tests. In comparison, VW specs have minimal tests for oxidative performance.

One common feature of these oils is that their ZDDP content is around 850–900 ppm, which is higher than the ILSAC limit of 800 ppm. That's why they don't get ILSAC approval and why they are not recommended for American and Japanese cars, which put emphasis on emissions and catalytic-converter endurance.
Castrol Edge EP 0W20 carries the MB229.71 and C5 which is safe for the catalyst.

408Stang, the current JLR specification for the 0W-20 oil is STJLR.03.5006. It superseded the previous spec back in 2018. That may be why you are unable to find it. I bought the newest spec oil at the dealership parts department back in November. The part # is 15DA2C and it was $12.95 a quart although with today's petroleum prices it is undoubtedly higher. I checked with Castrol and they told me that oil was only available through dealerships and not sold through any online suppliers like Amazon, etc. (unless they happen to be a Jaguar dealer anyway).

Maybe check again and ask for the newest oil ?

I have a 2021 Jaguar F Type R with the supercharged V8. I too agree that the manufacturer recommendation of 15,000 mile OCI's is ridiculous. I changed out the factory fill on my car at around 2750 miles. You can read the Blackstone report here:

One thing of note is the higher than expected titanium content and lower than expected moly content. Otherwise I'll bet the special Castrol Edge Professional EC5 oil that is sold exclusively at Jaguar dealerships is the same oil as their Edge Professional oil but with different moly and titanium percentages.

So JLR's engineers feel that high titanium content is beneficial to their engines. How do the other oils recommended in this thread compare with that ingredient ?

As part of the warranty, Jaguar does free oil and filter changes yearly for the first 5 years. Which for me means about a 5000 mile interval. They use bulk oil.

Here is a link to the Castrol Edge Professional EC5 0W-20 Data Sheet:

Last edited:
408Stang, the current JLR specification for the 0W-20 oil is STJLR.03.5006. It superseded the previous spec back in 2018. That may be why you are unable to find it. I bought the newest spec oil at the dealership parts department back in November. The part # is 15DA2C and it was $12.95 a quart although with today's petroleum prices it is undoubtedly higher. I checked with Castrol and they told me that oil was only available through dealerships and not sold through any online suppliers like Amazon, etc. (unless they happen to be a Jaguar dealer anyway).

Maybe check again and ask for the newest oil ?

I have a 2021 Jaguar F Type R with the supercharged V8. I too agree that the manufacturer recommendation of 15,000 mile OCI's is ridiculous. I changed out the factory fill on my car at around 2750 miles. You can read the Blackstone report here:

One thing of note is the higher than expected titanium content and lower than expected moly content. Otherwise I'll bet the special Castrol Edge Professional EC5 oil that is sold exclusively at Jaguar dealerships is the same oil as their Edge Professional oil but with different moly and titanium percentages.

So JLR's engineers feel that high titanium content is beneficial to their engines. How do the other oils recommended in this thread compare with that ingredient ?

As part of the warranty, Jaguar does free oil and filter changes yearly for the first 5 years. Which for me means about a 5000 mile interval. They use bulk oil.

Here is a link to the Castrol Edge Professional EC5 0W-20 Data Sheet:

VI = 203 is very high, but it could be due to high POE content, as my calculator (linked above) suggests a very high base-oil VI = 171 but a moderate VII content of 4.3%.

I doubt these Euro-OEM-approved oils are any better than their premium ILSAC counterparts like the Castrol Edge Extended Performance. The main difference is slightly higher ZDDP content for the former, which is probably a bad thing from the emissions-system-endurance perspective. They may also lack a modern Ca–Mg mixed detergent because there is no ILSAC/API approval and they are still based on the outdated ACEA C5 category, which has been replaced by the ACEA C6 category that requires a modern Ca–Mg mixed detergent.