Oil smells like Gasoline in both trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I searched and found one other topic on this issue, but it didn't entirely answer my question. So, here it goes.

My wife has a 2002 Toyota 4Runner V6 Limited (18K miles) and I have a 2002 Toyota Tacoma V6 (11K miles). Both trucks are serviced religously by the Toyota Dealership and we only use Mobil 1 Synthetic. I check the oil levels every 500 miles and they are fine. Oil has been changed at 5K, 10K, 15K in the 4Runner and 3K, 5K, 10K in the Tacoma. (Not all Mobil 1, just the last change) We live in hotass Tucson, AZ.

But, both trucks have a strong smell of gasoline when I check the oil. My wife's truck more so, I think because she does a lot of short trips and sits in the truck idling with the AC on because of her Sales Job. Is the gas smell something to worry about? I really don't want all the hassle of a UOA, but I don't want to kill the engines either!

[ October 16, 2003, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Grossomotto ]

I would do an UOA just for the peace of mind. Until you have cold hard facts, you can speculate yourself crazy...save your time...do the UOA!

[ October 16, 2003, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: uconn1150 ]

Mine is a 2001 Tacoma (2.4) with 28,000...noticed the same smell. It was especially strong after last winter during which I did lots of short distance driving.
I'm using M1 at 3,500 to 4,000 mile intervals.
I've experienced no oil usage and/or other apparent problems.
Its the main reason I'm using synthetic and not extending intervals.

[ October 16, 2003, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: rj ]

Interesting this topic has been brought up, just yesterday I noticed a gas smell in my 99 Sienna when checking the oil. I use M1 5w30, it's about 3000 miles since the last change. I was hoping to go 5000, but it looks like it's time to switch it out and perform the UOA. Results to follow in the next few weeks.

My suggestion for you: do the UOA. It's the only real way to find out what's going on.

do a uoa. let me say this, however. i use mobil1 as well, and i thought my oil had a gassy smell as well. did a uoa and there was no gas in the oil.

i think m1 just smells that way after a bit.

My 2000 4Runner uses the same 3.4L V6 and I ran M1 5w-30 10K miles last time with no problems, confirmed by a UOA. I'll have to check for a fuel smell the next time I check the oil.

It's a good engine. It seems they solved most of the problems with the 3.0L with the 3.4L...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back