Oil smell

Status
Not open for further replies.
If all of the areas I.E. gaskets and seals are new and fresh... Where could there be a possible source for an oil burning smell? Anyone have a clue?
Does anyone else smell an oil smell on high milage autos?

Maybe a crankcase breather hose is cracked and oil is dripping on the exhaust manifold or exhaust pipe. I had a leaky valley pan gasket soil the engine and coat the underside of the car all the way down to the cats. That smoked and stank. I've also had a PCV return hose pop off the throttle body and drip liberal amounts of oil on the exhaust manifold. Drive the car so the engine is really hot (45 minutes freeway), then stop and crawl under the car. Use your eyes and nose.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
I've also had a PCV return hose pop off the throttle body and drip liberal amounts of oil on the exhaust manifold

thats why i hose clamp all hoses.... or cable tie for the very small hoses.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Maybe a crankcase breather hose is cracked and oil is dripping on the exhaust manifold -*-*

You may be close.
I've been looking at that gasket a long time.
Everyone told me to replace it when the engine is rebuilt... But I've got 390K in the motor...

Checked the hose, pulled the valve out and the rubber in the VC started to crack. I tried to pull it out and chunks came into my fingers... It's toast... I pulled all the big chunks out and looked into the hole and there is a lot of tiny rubber flakes in the VC but I got the rotten rubber out and replaced the Oil Cap too... now there should not be any place that I need to worry about for about 100K. Hope this solves the problem.... sure wish they made cars better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back