Oil Smell means common additives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so starts back to when i first used Mobil 7500 partial syn 5w30 in my car, i noticed it had a very sweet aroma, not bad for huffing
wink.gif

but then the next oil change i used Havoline Fully Synthetic, it had the same oil smell.
after that OCI currently on right now, i put in Mobil 5000..........same exact smell as the 7500 and Havoline.

Changed the oil on my explorer yesterday and put in Supertech 10w40, it had the same smell

Just today at work i put Maxlife in a vehicle and i figured what the **** lets see what it smells like............it has the same sweet aroma as all of the above.

What common additives/makeup of the oil would cause all of them to smell the same or really close to the same?

JK,
I am a fanatic when it comes to sniffing oil..Chances are, I already have a brain tumor, and I will PROMISE you that Val Maxlife does not smell like all the above. Maxlife smells just like All Climate, and the Mobil's you mentioned have a chemical smell to them. All the Valvoline oils have that sweet petro smell.
I don't know about Hav syn, but the Havoline dino has virtually no odor to it.
Go back and try again, tell me if I'm wrong.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
Best smell is Mobil 1 ATF. Maxlife is very good too.

I noticed the last 2 times I used Mobil 1 ATF it smelled much different than it did a couple of years ago. I had some old stuff and newer stuff and they were much different. I think the stronger bottles were the newer variety. I thought I bought the wrong kind but they were the same type of fluid, just newer.

Hmmm, I was sniffing the older stuff, back a couple years ago. It was Mercon. I think they may have gone to a Mercon/Mercon V now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back