Oil Sludge at 33k Miles?

Hi all, first time poster on here and hoping you all can help.

I've got a 2016 F-150 (2.7L). I did my oil change at my usual 4k mile interval and when draining my drain pan this time I found a tan almost curdled milk like substance at the bottom (see pic). Any ideas what this could be or how in the world this would be happening at 33k miles? I recorded a video of what I'm seeing which is linked below. Thanks for any insights you guys can provide.

My Setup:
  • 2016 F-150 XLT. 2.7L Ecoboost
    • 33k Miles
    • Oil / Filter changes every 4k miles
  • Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w 30 (Full Synthetic)
  • Motorcraft Oil Filter (FL 2062)
  • Always use Shell gasoline
  • Have a Catch Can. Otherwise engine is stock

Sludge.PNG

Hard to tell from the pictures. First things first, as mentioned was the drain pan clean and dry? If yes, then it could be very short trips or coolant mixing with the oil. Did you check the coolant level? If it's full I would still pressure check the cooling system to rule out a bad head gasket.

Wow thanks for all the responses guys. My trips are usually to or from work, about 20 minutes each way and I never pre-start my vehicle.

Was the drain pan clean when you drained the oil ? Notice any coolant loss.?

First things first, as mentioned was the drain pan clean and dry? If yes, then it could be very short trips or coolant mixing with the oil. Did you check the coolant level? If it's full I would still pressure check the cooling system to rule out a bad head gasket.

Now that you mention it I did notice some coolant loss when I was changing it today, (pic below). I do notice that there's an oil sheen on the bottom of the pan, which looks like its originating from the oil plug. Not dry like I'd expect even though I had it brought in for the oil pan TSB.

Is one a more likely culprit than the other?

Coolant.jpg

Moisture if anything.

Contaminant in pan. Look at the oil when the pan is tilted forward. NP. I wash out my drain pan(s) with soap/water after each use to avoid situations like this.

If the drained oil had contaminant, I'd worry. that the oil is normal and the mixing is along the bottom of the pan on only oil left behind speaks volumes.

PS - nothing in the pics/description at all says "sludge" so it tends to incline to operator error...

Wow thanks for all the responses guys. My trips are usually to or from work, about 20 minutes each way and I never pre-start my vehicle.

Now that you mention it I did notice some coolant loss when I was changing it today, (pic below). I do notice that there's an oil sheen on the bottom of the pan, which looks like its originating from the oil plug. Not dry like I'd expect even though I had it brought in for the oil pan TSB.

View attachment 29724
If the coolant was low as you stated, I would pressure test the cooling system to rule out a bad head gasket. If it passes muster then I'd say there was something in the pan before the oil change was done.

Welcome Khaos

If not already done, I would send 3 samples- 1 with the bulk oil and one of the "sludge". I would also send a coolant sample for analysis just as a cross check.

If you have any remaining, I might suggest running a field 'crackle" test. ( In a safe area with PPE, heat a nail to cherry red and plunge it into some of that "gunk" and listen for the "rice crispies' sound. That indicates water is present) I would also perform a blotter test with a coffee filter and look for any debris or particulate solids (not wear metals) and an olfactory test ( smells sweet or sour with sweet usually indicating coolant)

Based on what I see ( which is what it is over the net) and your description of maintenance history, I agree with most here. It appears you have coolant ingress into the oil- cause and location yet to be determined.

If that's the case, you need to diagnose that right now and repair. Follow the instructions on pressure testing and proceed

Did you run the engine and warm it up just before draining the oil?
If YES, then I would expect any contaminants (fuel,water,coolant) to be completely mixed in the oil and the drained oil would have a 'coffee with creamer' look to it in the pan. It does not make sense that some of the oil looks fine, but some areas of the drain pan look like yuck.
I would guess that something was in the drain pan and mixed in when you drained the oil.

short trips with out a full heat up makes sludge BUT loss of coolant may indicate a leak too.
test for water or coolant in oil is in order as well as keep track of any coolant loss.

You could also put a dye in the coolant and look for it in the oil.

That works very well and I use it frequently in HPU's and places where a mixture of process chemicals may be an issue but it has 2 significant drawbacks that you don't want in a case like this where there is the possibility of significant damage.

One is the volume of dye and dilution relative to the solution can make it difficult to spot for a long time ( fine for leaks and seeps but not when damage can be quick and severe)

Depending on the size, location and volume of the leak- it can take the dye a long time to work its way through. Again, not the best alternative when faced with a quick failure

Are the turbos cool by the anti freeze and lube by the engine oil??

If so, this can also be a source where antifreeze can get mixed w/ oil besides the head gasket.

Looks like water or coolant mixed with oil. At 33,000 miles this is not good. It should be confirmed by UOA. Good luck getting Ford to fix the problem if its required. Be prepared to document everything as it sounds like you do.

View attachment 29724
The coolant level is low in this pic. How long did it take to drop to this level from the correct level? If only since the last oil change, then there is a leak.

Sure looks like an internal coolant leak to me. You'd have to do a ton of extremely short trips (much shorter than 20 minutes) to get that kind of moisture buildup in the oil. The fact that the coolant level dropped is a dead giveaway.

The coolant level is low in this pic. How long did it take to drop to this level from the correct level? If only since the last oil change, then there is a leak.

We need this info before jumping to conclusions.

Has the OP confirmed that he’s 100% sure the pan was clean before draining?

I‘d recommend running another of your already-short intervals and see what you see.

Back