Oil slightly dark after oilchange

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just took the plunge and put AMSOIL 5W/30 synthetic with a Wix filter into my 2001 Pathfinder. I checked the oil level the same day and found it to be slightly dark.....they left some of the residual oil in the engine. How much will this rob me of the benefits of the AMSOIL? Will I have to change the oil/filter sooner because of this? Your input is much appreciated.

I wouldn't worry much about it. I just learned from my car's manual that the refill amount after a dry block overhaul is 5.8 qts, whereas it's only 5.0 for a regular change of oil and filter, so it's expected that routinely, 0.8 qts of the old stuff is going to be left behind. Also, a good syn is probably going to clean up some leftover gunk in your engine, so this too may contribute to the quick darkening. Unless your plan is to push to the outer limit of extended drain intervals, I'd just proceed as planned. BTW, I'm approaching 5k on my first fill of Amsoil 5w-30 (ASL), and it may be a tad darker than the M-1 I'd used before, but nothing alarming.

I'm at 6K on my first fill of ASL 5W30 and am changing the oil filter this afternoon. I plan on only doing 10K for my first OCI. Previously the car was on a steady diet of Mobil 1 at 5K OCI's. The oil still seems to be pretty clear even at 6K.

It was recommended to me not to go the full 25K the first time with Amsoil. This is supposed to rinse the left over stuff out.

quote:

Originally posted by Guido:
Will I have to change the oil/filter sooner because of this?

I'm not sure how far you planned on going with your first run with Amsoil but if it were me I wouldn't go much beyond 10,000km on the first run. Then on the second one go a bit more if you wish.

And ditch the Wix and use the Amsoil filters. They are part of the team that gives you the extended drain intervals. Poor filtration just diminishes the ability of the oil to go the long haul.
smile.gif

have cut Amsoil filters open and was not too impressed. The Baldwin-made by the same company who makes the Amsoil filters had more paper in it. 42folds Amsoil asf15/68folds Baldwin b2- they both were the Ford full sized filters. who's got the better paper? looked the same but Amsoil will claim too have-as they make the BEST!!JUST ASK THEM!!

Maybe TooSlick or one of the other Amsoil guys will chime in here.

I know some of the Nissan's beat up on oil pretty good and since it's your 1st run with this oil, I wouldn't push the drain interval because of any cleaning effects that may be going on.

Better to limit the oci on the first run and do a uoa, imho. That's what I'm gonna do myself later.

Maybe 10k to 12k Km.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris B.:

quote:

Originally posted by Click:
And ditch the Wix and use the Amsoil filters. They are part of the team that gives you the extended drain intervals. Poor filtration just diminishes the ability of the oil to go the long haul.
smile.gif

WIX is every bit as good as the Amsoil filters if not better.

Can you offer the evidence? I'm not being mean. I just want to know.

amazing indeed.

This site is far better than some of the other forums where the amsoil dealers are trolls, barking their product left and right and littering the forums.

quote:

Originally posted by ted s:
amazing how the oil of a site sponsor is always recomended.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. The guy who posted the question was the one who mentioned he was using Amsoil, nobody pushed him into using it.

People on here recommend lots of different oils, both by sponsors and by non sponsors. We have no problem with that at all. Of course it would be nice if lots of people did buy from our site sponsors, since they help keep the site running, but by no means do we frown upon the discussion of other oils.

We have Mobil, Amsoil, Redline, Schaeffer's, and Royal purple site supporters. When talking about excellent oils.......it is kind of hard not to recommend one of them.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ted s:
amazing how the oil of a site sponsor is always recomended.

I have been a Moderator/Admin on this board since its inception. I have seen German Castrol, Shell, Delo, Chevron, Havoline, Citgo, Valvoline Motul, John Deere, and many other oils recommended. I have never seen a post deleted because the oil recommended was not a site sponsor. As a new person on the board, maybe your time would be better spent reading instead of posting. Just a thought.

I for one can tell you that the Amsoil site sponsors on this board are not trolls. They are very professional and knowledgeable folks. I appreciate their input to the overall discussion on the board. I don't know them personally, but they are my internet friends. I work for Pennzoil, but if I knew someone that insisted on buying Amsoil, I would put them in touch with one of these fine gentlemen.

Just my two cents for what it's worth.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Click:
smile.gif

WIX is every bit as good as the Amsoil filters if not better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back