Oil shelf life

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was wanting to buy a large quantity of oil products in defense of a huge price increase how long can they sit and not deteriorate?

There are a bunch of threads on this one. I believe that 2 to 3 years was the answer. I really wouldn't stock up. Oils are getting better and better.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
There are a bunch of threads on this one. I believe that 2 to 3 years was the answer. I really wouldn't stock up. Oils are getting better and better.

Hey Al. So I'll bite. What happens to the oil at the end of 3 years on the shelf?

The reason i ask is because I use Amsoil. I am a dealer. I use the oil mostly for my own personal use. The tranny fluid is what I use the most of it seems.

But now I have two cars on the Amsoil motor oil. I fear that oil prices will at least triple in the near term. If I were to buy say, 10 gallons of tranny fluid and 2-3 years worth of oil, I am considering this a hedge.

Really don't see how Amsoil's premium products will improve significantly enough in a
Will it deteriorate from the time it is sitting on the self?

Ok I did a search and indeed this is a frequent topic. But it appears that other than the aspect of the spec being upgraded there is no harm in the oil sitting on a shelf.

3 years, 2 months, 4 days, 3 hours, 27 minutes, and 18 seconds.
shocked.gif

Well, I bought 4 qrts of GC and what I did was to squeeze the bottle until almost all the air is out and then tighten the cap. That would minimize condensation inside the bottle and ensure the cap is tight, since so many bottles come very lose from the factory.
As for oil shelf life, there have been a few UOAs of oils that are more than a year old, INSIDE a motor which definitely does not help and TBN still looked excellent. I say well sealed bottle in a dry place out of sunlight will last many many years.

Rick

quote:

Originally posted by quick_16:

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

Hey Al. So I'll bite. What happens to the oil at the end of 3 years on the shelf?

It goes right back to crude oil!
wink.gif

Most likely, after many years the TBN would start to deplete. The oil might oxidize as well and begin to thicken and water might increase in volume inside the cotainer.........but if the bottle was well sealed up....I don't know then!
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:

quote:

Originally posted by quick_16:

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

It goes right back to crude oil!
wink.gif

Most likely, after many years the TBN would start to deplete. The oil might oxidize as well and begin to thicken and water might increase in volume inside the cotainer.........but if the bottle was well sealed up....I don't know then!
dunno.gif

I was thinking if I was very patent, I could watch it morph in to a T Rex or one of his buds? lol
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back