Oil sandwich plate adapter questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be installing a mishimoto oil sandwich plate adaptor on my 2019 STI so I can monitor oil temp and pressure. It's a generic part and came with no instructions and I am looking for some thoughts on the following.

#1 - the male thread on the block will have an extension screwed on to it. What torque amount should I use? I was thinking the same as the manual states for the oil filter?

#2 - would you use a combo thread sealer and locker on the male thread ?

https://www.mishimoto.com/oil-plate-sandwich-adapter.html

The female part that will screw into the mail oil filter thread is bronze in that picture but look aluminum in the package I received.

Thanks!

I'm sure the car already monitors oil temperature and pressure.
Why not just use the Carly app on your phone?
Heck, TorquePro might even do it.

As a side note, it's an awfully new car to get this wrong.
Is oil pressure at the filter the appropriate location to monitor on this vehicle?

1. "Tight" with 10" channel locks.
2. Thread sealant I suppose, but you don't put thread sealant on an oil filter so you could leave it off.

Are you sure that's the right place to measure oil pressure?

Originally Posted by Imp4

Is oil pressure at the filter the appropriate location to monitor on this vehicle?

When the oil filter is on a sandwich plate adapter, it is further away from the block. Do any of my learned Brothers or Sisters have an opinion on whether the first-order resonant frequency of this longer appendage is apt to be a problem? I rather doubt it... but...

I agree, re the price to be paid if you get this wrong!

Originally Posted by Imp4

The car does not have an oil temp sensor, and the oil pressure sensor only alerts after the pressure has dropped to a point where your block is already shot. ODBII won't give me the information so I can't use an app.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
1. "Tight" with 10" channel locks.
2. Thread sealant I suppose, but you don't put thread sealant on an oil filter so you could leave it off.

Are you sure that's the right place to measure oil pressure?

It's the easiest location without removing and t'ing off existing oil flow passages. The pressure will not be logged, only monitored by eye to ensure all is well when I track the car.

Unfortunately Subaru didn't include any sensors to help monitor oil temperature/pressure on the STI like they did on the WRX. [censored], my 02 Z06 has them and that's a 18 year old car.

I installed a Perrin sandwich adapter on my Civic. I decided that I didn't want the extender coming loose by accident so I used Vibra-tite on it's ID. No issues so far, but not a lot of miles since install.

Originally Posted by porterdog
I installed a Perrin sandwich adapter on my Civic. I decided that I didn't want the extender coming loose by accident so I used Vibra-tite on it's ID. No issues so far, but not a lot of miles since install.

Thanks, did you use medium strength blue? That's what I was thinking of using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back