Oil Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

Can you recommend a good non-synthetic oil to use in my wife's Outback? It is a 2.5L with about 110K. I have been using Maxlife 10w30 for the past few changes. Was using Castrol GTX or Valvoline All climate before that. It uses very little oil. But I have to replace the valve cover gaskets about every 2 years because of developing leaks.

Should I stick with 10W30 or go to 5W30 for the winter as well? Gets into the 10's and 20's mostly with spells into the single digits. the car also has the cold weather package and I try and plug in the block heater when it dips below 25 or so.

Thanks for any suggestions.

John

[ October 10, 2003, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: 96Outback ]

There are lots of good choices you could make, Pennzoil, Chevron Supreme, Castrol GTX, or even one of the high mileage Pennzoil or GTX oils. I'd go with 5w30 for sure in the winter.

One thing you are lucky with, is that it seems no matter what oil is run in a Subaru engine, it shows very low wear numbers, so you almost can't go wrong no matter what you choose, and could base your decision more on price and availability if you wish.

quote:

Originally posted by 96Outback:
Guys,

Can you recommend a good non-synthetic oil to use in my wife's Outback? It is a 2.5L with about 110K. I have been using Maxlife 10w30 for the past few changes. Was using Castrol GTX or Valvoline All climate before that. It uses very little oil. But I have to replace the valve cover gaskets about every 2 years because of developing leaks.

Should I stick with 10W30 or go to 5W30 for the winter as well? Gets into the 10's and 20's mostly with spells into the single digits. the car also has the cold weather package and I try and plug in the block heater when it dips below 25 or so.

Thanks for any suggestions.

John

A good, high quality 5w-30.

Personally, I don't like Castrol passenger-car oils simply because they give us no information on their oil...funny how they have spec. sheets for their heavy-duty lubes though...

With that said, I'd pick either Pennzoil or Chevron Supreme.

John,
welcome.gif

Take a look around in some of the past threads, you'll see a trend towards the Chevron, Pennzoil, and Castrol. There are others too but these seem to pop up alot with good results.

quote:

Guys,

But I have to replace the valve cover gaskets about every 2 years because of developing leaks.

John

Sound to me like you need to run Auto-Rx, then do a 3oz maintenaince dose thereafter. No matter what oil you use.

BTW if you used an pao/ester base synthetic you probably wouldn't have a problem with leaking gaskets every 2 years.

As far as the oil, any ole $.89/qt will do, they are all about the same.

Here is the Auto-Rx seal leak proceedure:
http://www.auto-rx.com/pages/sealleak.htm

[ October 10, 2003, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: msparks ]

msparks,

I run Mobil1 in my F150. I was told that Subaru used to recommend against synthetic use. Although I believe they have changed their position. Given the fact that the car has 110K on it, I'm a little reluctant to switch now.

Would the Mobil1 work in this application?

quote:

msparks,

I run Mobil1 in my F150. I was told that Subaru used to recommend against synthetic use. Although I believe they have changed their position. Given the fact that the car has 110K on it, I'm a little reluctant to switch now.

Would the Mobil1 work in this application?

M1 would work but like you said why switch this late in the game. Just grab a good 5W30 off the shelf and go with it.

From MaxLife to Pennzoil HMV seems to be a good progression. You will find the 5w-30 a little heavy, perfect for your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back