Oil recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1994 Acura Integra with 209,000 miles. I have an hour drive to work one way about 50 miles so I put about 500 miles a week on it. I've had it about 6 months so far I had a Jeep Cherokee with 270,000 miles on it.

I used Gtx synthetic 5w30 I think the first two changes but decided to try conventional this time last weekend. I noticed a little less gas mileage 32 instead of 33-35 and I also noticed a puff of white some in the morning.

I thing I overfilled it by about a half quart though. That might have something to do with the smoke on cold starts. I use Mobile filters new every change 3-4000 miles.

What oil should I be using for engine life and mileage?

First welcome to BITOG.

Castrol GTX is a conventional oil.
Syntec or Edge are their synthetic brands.

Whatever name brand 5W-30 you use won't noticebly affect your gas mileage or the the life of your engine.
Nevertheless synthetic oils do have advantages so I'd suggest any 5W-30 syn' bought on sale is all you need.

If you changing it every 3-4k miles, use a name-brand conventional oil and a cheap filter (NOT FRAM).

Personally, I would do Pennzoil Conventional with a Purolator Classic. $20 for the set at Walmart, change it every 5k or 6 months.

10w-30 in summer, 5w-30 in winter.

If 50 miles only takes you an hour, it's clear you're not in stop and go traffic. You are putting very easy miles on your car and oil. IMO you are a prime candidate for longer OCI's, any good name brand synthetic in 5w30 will probably do 10k for you, but you should do a UOA at 7,500 just to make sure how it's holding up.

Some of the top syns would probably go longer still for your situation.

Save yourself some time and money, it sounds like you're dumping perfectly good oil at this point.

If you'd rather do conventional 5k should be a breeze and if you'll UOA 7,500 or more may be reasonable.

JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back