Oil recommendations.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been trying to figure this out myself as I'm new here and as usual I'm more confused. So here's the question for you oil guru's.........

Have a newer Z06 LS7/427ci N/A with about 7,500 miles. It is normally street driven but see's the drag strip occassionaly. Puttin down over 500rwhp and hits 7k rpm regularly.

Thinking about running the Pure One filter. Oil temps have been running 165 to 195 on the street w/RP 5w-30w. Not concerned with extended OCI's. What say you all?

Thanks.....SR

I should direct you to read MotorOil 101 written by the emminent Dr. A. E. Haus, of motor oil fame, our very own tribologist. You can find his articles here. After you're done, you can tell US what you will be using:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/aehaas/

and then we will grade you, depending on how well U have read the text, and understood the material.

welcome to Bobistheoiguy!!!

Last edited:
I would use what the car came with, Mobil 1. If you don't like M1, try Pennzoil Platinum or Amsoil 5w30.

Originally Posted By: scoobie
I should direct you to read MotorOil 101 written by the emminent Dr. A. E. Haus, of motor oil fame, our very own tribologist. You can find his articles here. After you're done, you can tell US what you will be using:

and then we will grade you, depending on how well U have read the text, and understood the material.

He's a plastic surgeon, not a tribologist.

well until the "real" tribologist writes a lecture series on motor oils, I nominate Dr. A. E. Haus for an honorary tribology degree!!!
by default.

it is important that the oil be not too thick, otherwise there will be insufficient flow. Dr. Haas explains how this works in Motor Oil 201, for graduates of the first lecture series.

Last edited:
RP is a great oil but it is a SL oil if your Zo6 has a warranty on it you will need a SM oil that meets GM4718M.

Dude, you're going to grade him and you didn't even get the doc's name right.

Originally Posted By: 2003f7
RP is a great oil but it is a SL oil if your Zo6 has a warranty on it you will need a SM oil that meets GM4718M.

Best answer so far. I also agree.

OP, Is there a reason you want to switch from RP 5w30? Also, I would use a high flow-high quality filter; M1 filter, RP filter, Amsoil EaO filter.

Last edited by a moderator:

I found Dr. Haas's work to be very informative, after really taking the time to read it. There might have been a slight error or two, but the bulk of the information was very helpful. I suggest people who are really interested in learning about engine oil spend the time and read the article.

I'd use PP in the grade the car was spec'd for.

AD

GM has done so much testing with Mobil 1 over the years I really don't see a reason to switch. They use Mobil 1 in their racing cars also.

Pure Ones, Napa Golds, Carquest Blues, Mobil 1's are all great filters with Pure Ones being my top pick.

well until the "real" tribologist writes a lecture series on motor oils, I nominate Dr. A. E. Haus for an honorary tribology degree!!!
by default.

it is important that the oil be not too thick, otherwise there will be insufficient flow. Dr. Haas explains how this works in Motor Oil 201, for graduates of the first lecture series.

You do realize an oil pump is a positive displacement pump right?

Doug Hillary has written many papers, a number of which are published and recognized by many major oil companies.

And he's a REAL tribologist.

I give Dr. Haas a great deal of credit for the work and research he has done, as well as the effort put forth in creating these papers. But he is not the be-all and end-all source for information on oil, nor is he a REAL tribologist. He is an enthusiast, like most members of this community.

Doug on the other hand, IS a real tribologist (retired) has has accrued MILLIONS of miles of real-world testing experience spanning close to half a century. He has done testing FOR SHELL, Exxon-Mobil and other companies, AND he has published papers that are recognized in the oil community.

I would consider Doug a greater "authority" on what goes in the pan of my engine than Dr. Haas.

That being said, they are both great contributors to this board.

Originally Posted By: buster
They use Mobil 1 in their racing cars also.

But not any oil you'll ever use in your car, let alone find on the shelf. Still, Mobil1 is good stuff.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Originally Posted By: buster
They use Mobil 1 in their racing cars also.

But not any oil you'll ever use in your car, let alone find on the shelf. Still, Mobil1 is good stuff.
cool.gif

Not according to Johnny's racing thread awhile back.......

scoobie:

one of Doug's recent posts:

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
I don't believe such a TISB from Porsche exists. It is true that the latest engine DI families - superceding the M96 - are using a 12 months 20kkms OCI as I recall

Use MI 0W-40 with great confidence in the M96 (Porsche has hundreds of thousands of M96 engines on this lubricant)

Porsche carried out a systematic UOA programme over a considerable period in NA on M96 engines and their recommendation of M1 0W-40 remained intact

I use a 5W-40 as my M96 runs about 10C higher OP Temp than standard and I live in the Tropics

As Porsche now owns VW-Audi I expect to see more Mobil products being used in their engine familes. Mobil remains the FF at Porsche

I am writing this at sea in the English Channel en route to Harwich - I will be in Stuttgart (Porsche and MB) in the next fortnight

He recommends running what the manufacturer recommends. As many in this thread have echoed.

But I have asked him about running M1 0w40 or 5w40 in my 5.4L Ford, and he saw no issue with it. And that is what I have been doing. He recommended of the two, the 0w40, but since I already had the 5w40, that is what I ran.

I believe I may have even found one of Doug's books that was for sale on E-bay:

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:ghSt...n&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Originally Posted By: bruce381
use whatever recomened vis and quality level oil is on sale

See, the Tribologists DO contribute scoobie
wink.gif

(Just buggin' ya
grin2.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.