Oil recommendations.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Not according to Johnny's racing thread awhile back.......

For NASCAR Sprint Cup racing, many cars use Mobil 1, but it is not the same as the retail variety (could have additives added to the retail stuff, or different oil to begin with, not sure).

For Grand AM racing (as reported by Johnny in his thread about Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona in the racing section on this site) they do use off-the-shelf retail Mobil 1 oil. The Grand Am engines are basically stock engines that have been tuned.

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Not according to Johnny's racing thread awhile back.......

For NASCAR Sprint Cup racing, many cars use Mobil 1, but it is not the same as the retail variety (could have additives added to the retail stuff, or different oil to begin with, not sure).

For Grand AM racing (as reported by Johnny in his thread about Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona in the racing section on this site) they do use off-the-shelf retail Mobil 1 oil. The Grand Am engines are basically stock engines that have been tuned.

I wonder how similar it is to Mobil's new "race" oil?

Thanks all.....with all the input and of course the reading I've been assigned with, was thinking of a 0w-30w oil since I live in SoCal?

As for running oil to maintain warranty, well that is gone as I just had to modify vehicle.

Concern with RP was additional moly in oil that may harm cat's and is RP really any better, you guys have seen a lot more UOA's and related info than I have on the stuff.

Thanks again.....SR

With no warranty to worry about, I would personally jump up to the 0w40 or a thicker 30wt like German Castrol. But then again, I'm used to German cars that like thicker oil.

Mobil 1 0w30 should work fine, and likely has a bit more PAO than M1 5w30.

But I must ask...why not just jump up to some Redline? It's only a few more bucks per quart...

Originally Posted By: opposite_locker
With no warranty to worry about, I would personally jump up to the 0w40 or a thicker 30wt like German Castrol. But then again, I'm used to German cars that like thicker oil.

Mobil 1 0w30 should work fine, and likely has a bit more PAO than M1 5w30.

But I must ask...why not just jump up to some Redline? It's only a few more bucks per quart...

So would RL be a better oil for my application?

SR

Redline is generally considered to be one of the "elite" performance oils, many of which are ester based (i.e. Motul, RLI biosyn, etc.). If price is no object, I would use the Redline over Mobil 1, and actually do in my older BMW.

The way I see it - M1 for a daily driver and Redline for the toy/track car.

I also like the fact that Redline is based right here in Northern Cali.

Originally Posted By: StageRunner
Thanks all.....with all the input and of course the reading I've been assigned with, was thinking of a 0w-30w oil since I live in SoCal?

As for running oil to maintain warranty, well that is gone as I just had to modify vehicle.

Concern with RP was additional moly in oil that may harm cat's and is RP really any better, you guys have seen a lot more UOA's and related info than I have on the stuff.

Thanks again.....SR

RP is not going to hurt your cat's. If you have had good luck with it why change? If you want to change for change sake try Redline.

As to a filter check out the new RP oil filters. Excellent filters. Or K&N or Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Thanks again.....SR

RP is not going to hurt your cat's. If you have had good luck with it why change? If you want to change for change sake try Redline.

As to a filter check out the new RP oil filters. Excellent filters. Or K&N or Mobil 1.

So would 0w-30w or 0w-40w in either RP or RL be applicable for cimate and vahicle usage?

SR

Thanks again.....SR

So would 0w-30w or 0w-40w in either RP or RL be applicable for cimate and vahicle usage?

SR

I would run 5W-30 myself. 0W oils are better suited to cold climates. RP has a 0W-40 but not a 0W-30. Not sure on RL weights.

Thanks again.....SR

SR

I would run 5W-30 myself. 0W oils are better suited to cold climates. RP has a 0W-40 but not a 0W-30. Not sure on RL weights.

Thanks all, going back with RP 5w-30w and gonna give the RP filter a go.........

SR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back