Oil recommendations for Hyundai 1.6 Turbo

Don't overthink that too much. With soot, oil dilution, turbo and direct injection, you can't keep the oil for long. Buy the cheapest dexos2/GF-6 you can find with a good filter. 0w30 is fine for any temperature, but 5w30 is probably cheaper.
That's why I suggested ST 5w30 synthetic....it's good quality syn. and inexpensive. I would feel wasteful changing more expensive syn. @5K or less OCI. After break-in I'd do an OCI (at about 20K) and decide if I wanted to change anything based on the results.

PS: I liked the Kona and Steltos but ended up buying the Mazda CX-30 because of issues with the 2.0 H/K engines. I understand the 1.6T doesn't have those issues but I went with the Mazda because
I believe it's NA 2.5 engine would be more forgiving if my daughter (who travels for work) extended an OCI while away from home.

Last edited:
We just purchased a new Hyundai Kona with the 1.6 liter turbo. The owner’s manual recommends 0W20 synthetic. Maybe I’m old school, but I wonder if I should use a heavier weight oil for Arizona desert temperatures. Especially with a turbocharged engine. I’m considering 0W30, 5W30, or maybe even 0W40. I appreciate all responses!
I would use Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 as someone else already mentioned.

We just purchased a new Hyundai Kona with the 1.6 liter turbo. The owner’s manual recommends 0W20 synthetic. Maybe I’m old school, but I wonder if I should use a heavier weight oil for Arizona desert temperatures. Especially with a turbocharged engine. I’m considering 0W30, 5W30, or maybe even 0W40. I appreciate all responses!
What oil have you gone with?

Back