Oil recommendations for Hyundai 1.6 Turbo

I totally agree. Thank you all
I would switch to 0W40 based on temperature. I live in the desert myself. At a very high elevation.. Let us know what you decide and how it works short/long term. Best of luck & Congratulations on your purchase!
Thank you! We are at 4600 feet in the “ high desert.” I’m thinking that I’ll go with 0W40. I used Mobil 1 and PP 5W30 in our previous car (1.6 Ecoboost) and it was okay. I think the 0W40 is the way to go with this engine. I wonder how soon I should change the 20 weight, we only have 85 miles on it…

Don't overthink that too much. With soot, oil dilution, turbo and direct injection, you can't keep the oil for long. Buy the cheapest dexos2/GF-6 you can find with a good filter. 0w30 is fine for any temperature, but 5w30 is probably cheaper.

Reactions: pbm
Don't overthink that too much. With soot, oil dilution, turbo and direct injection, you can't keep the oil for long. Buy the cheapest dexos2/GF-6 you can find with a good filter. 0w30 is fine for any temperature, but 5w30 is probably cheaper.
Gotcha. You’re all being so helpful I’m going to pose another question. Using synthetic and accounting for oil dilution etc…..Almost all of our trips are less than 10 miles except for an occasional 150 mile round trip to Tucson. So, I change the oil every 6 months and the mileage is generally around 1500. What do you all think? Thank you!

Gotcha. You’re all being so helpful I’m going to pose another question. Using synthetic and accounting for oil dilution etc…..Almost all of our trips are less than 10 miles except for an occasional 150 mile round trip to Tucson. So, I change the oil every 6 months and the mileage is generally around 1500. What do you all think? Thank you!
At that point just about any oil would be serviceable. Low miles non extended drain interval and occasional long trip, I'd probably rock supertech 10k synth or whatever is on sale.

Once a year is probably fine. That’s what I’m doing with my Optima. Short trips, winter driving and less than 6000 miles a year. Down south, I’m sure you won’t have problem.

Since when did H/K recomend 20 weight oils for any of their turbo application?
The recommendation on the 1.6t is ACEA A5 or higher, by that I'm guessing is the upcoming ACEA A7?
Lots of Korean cars spec a 20 but also require A5 (which only exists as a 30). Only in the US though. The 1.6 Gamma II GDI in my car specs 5w20 but minimum 5w30 everywhere else.
Screenshot_20210717-181437~2.png

On any Hyundai or Kia, I strongly recommend going as thick as starting temps allow if you want the engine to last 300k+

0W-30, 5W-30, 0W-40. No reason going even thicker since Hyundai specs 0W-20 for all climates.
I'd suggest VW 504 00, perhaps VW 511 00 and/or MB 229.5/229.51, Porsche C40, BMW LL-04 as
these are all tailored to be used in turbo DI engines.

We just purchased a new Hyundai Kona with the 1.6 liter turbo. The owner’s manual recommends 0W20 synthetic. Maybe I’m old school, but I wonder if I should use a heavier weight oil for Arizona desert temperatures. Especially with a turbocharged engine. I’m considering 0W30, 5W30, or maybe even 0W40. I appreciate all responses!
Stick with what the manual says. You dont need to use a thicker oil with modern synthetics and a thicker oil is only going to cause more wear at startup. Also, modern engines are build with a lot tighther tolerances than they used to be, so thicker oil is a no-no.
As far as what brand of oil, take your pick. Im partial to Valvoline but theres lots of great options out there.

Stick with what the manual says. You dont need to use a thicker oil with modern synthetics and a thicker oil is only going to cause more wear at startup. Also, modern engines are build with a lot tighther tolerances than they used to be, so thicker oil is a no-no..
No, no and no. Every last statement statement above is incorrect.

Please learn some facts before posting.

I have been through many, but the main two have used are Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30. I am now using Redline Performance 5W-30 Euro ( Ester not the Group 3). I am on boost more then most, so for the average driver, they don't need this boutique oil.

Here’s what I found in the online owners manual. It’s all over the place. If you’re in a hot climate you can use up to 20w50 in the 1.6L T-GDI

View attachment 70683
Very interesting. Often wondered that. Some will say "you will damage your engine with heavier oil!" yet I am not so sure...? I get the deal about the tight tolerances............... just not so sure heavier would do damage in hot climate. The high heat in today's small Di turbo engines is what I am concerned about more than wear.

It would be great if Hyundai and Kia could get on the same page with their oil requirements.

The 1.6L T-GDI in the 2022 Kona states 0W-20 (see post 18), but I just learned today the same 1.6L T-GDI in the 2022 Soul Turbo states 5W-30 (below)

😵‍💫

48F9CEE8-59BE-4BCF-BE3C-E93A568E4156.jpeg

It would be great if Hyundai and Kia could get on the same page with their oil requirements.

The 1.6L T-GDI in the 2022 Kona states 0W-20 (see post 18), but I just learned today the same 1.6L T-GDI in the 2022 Soul Turbo states 5W-30 (below)

😵‍💫

View attachment 76636
Are you sure both are the same?
The smartstream may be using the same architecture but it would have many design enhancements allowing for lower viscosity oil.

Back