Oil Recommendations for a Nissan Titan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I was lucky enough to be able to acquire a new Nissan Titan a few days ago. I'm now pondering on what to use for oil in it. For some odd reason the owners manual specifically recommends a mineral based oil (not sure what's up with that) ranging in weights from 5W-30 to 10W-40 depending on expected temperatures. I would like to use the Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 or Mobil 1 10W-30 in it but am open to suggestions. What do you all think??? I live south of Atlanta so I don't expect too many extremely cold temps. (although I froze my butt off today)!!
shocked.gif
Also if you all are interested I can do an oil sample on it when I drain the factory fill at 1K miles.

Cool truck!

Delvac 1 would probably be great in that V8. The Pentosin 5w-40 mentioned here Passat W8 UOA might be good stuff too if you can find it.

It seems like Nissan put more thought into marketing a full size truck in the US than Toyota did. I hope it sells and prompts all the other makers to respond. Now if only the Japanese offered it with a turbodiesel...

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

The engine in this thing is impressive to say the least. Nissan built it all aluminum, block and heads. 6 bolt main bearing caps with a forged micro-polished crank, 4 micro-polished cams along with moly coated pistons. I'm anxious to see how the oil sample looks.

I'm kind of leaning towards the Mobil 1 10W-30 just because it's so readily available at wally mart but I'm sure I could be swayed into buying the Delvac 1 if you all think that would be a better route to go.

I might sound stupid, but exactly what does Nissan mean by a "mineral based oil" Doesnt that mean non-synth? I love the Nissan truck, and looks like it will smoke the domestics (even though I drive a domestic) Congradulations!!!!!!
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Silverado:
I love the Nissan truck, and looks like it will smoke the domestics (even though I drive a domestic) Congradulations!!!!!!
cheers.gif

I saw one at the car show recently. If I were in the market for a full-size, that would be it. Check the February 04 Car and Driver, they did a 5 truck comparo and the Nissan came out on top.

Me personally I would do the 10w-30 warm and 5W for cold. My favs right now are Chevron Supreme for dino and Shaeffers Supreme for synth (blend).

[ January 08, 2004, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: shortyb ]

If the manual says mineral, use mineral. You will surely get better wear, albeit with shorter drain intervals. I would say, 10W-30 in the winter and 10W-40 or 15W-40 in the summer.

As something to think about, consider this. Subaru recommends non-synthetic oil too. I have been using Mobil 1 in my two Imprezas. After I switched to non-synthetic, I got much lower wear, according to UOA I have done on both. In fact, lead went to ZERO with the non-synthetic. On both cars.

vvk - We've owned 5 Subarus since 1989 and I've never seen in the owners manual that mineral oil is recommended. Where are you getting this info?

Dave

Would not a "mineral based" oil actually include most all synthetics??

They did not say "don't use syn's", right??

I doubt that they actually meant not to use GpIII, IV and V oils.

Jetforeman, since the Titan engine is made here in Tenn., you should be able to get a clarification from Nissan on this.

Since this is a new design and you live in Atlanta, I would personally want to go with a syn after some run in.

Atlanta driving isn't particularly easy on oil anyway and M1 10W-30 seems like the ticket to me.

What is the oil capacity by the way??

JetForeman,

I would start with the 10w-30 dinos du jour. Chevron/Havoline, Pennzoil, and Castrol GTX. Being in Hotlanta, the 10w-30 will work year round and is generally more shear stable than dino 5w-30.

I would start with dino and go 10,000 miles with 3,000 mile OCI. Start at 1,000, 4,000, 7,000 and 10,000. This has worked well for Maxima V6 owners for a good break in model.

[ January 08, 2004, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: John in the ATL ]

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. After reading everyones responses I think I'm going to drain it at the 1K mile mark and put in some M1 10W-30 and see how that does for a couple thousand miles. After that I'm going to try some Chevron 10W-30 and see what the difference in oil samples look like. Thanks again for your suggestions!! I do love this truck and want it to last as long as possible. Here's a link to some pics I took of it the other evening.

http://community.webshots.com/album/109774161HkljBb?563

oh yeah, to answer an earlier question it has a 6.5 quart sump.

[ January 08, 2004, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: JetForeman ]

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
Would not a "mineral based" oil actually include most all synthetics??

They did not say "don't use syn's", right??

I doubt that they actually meant not to use GpIII, IV and V oils.

That's exactly what I was thinking Haley and no it didn't say anything about not using synthetics of which I believe to be a mineral based oil as well. Right????

JetForeman
Just out of curiosity what is the oil change interval recommended by Nissan for your Titan? Especially if they are "strongly suggesting" using dino oil.

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by JetForeman:
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. After reading everyones responses I think I'm going to drain it at the 1K mile mark and put in some M1 10W-30 and see how that does for a couple thousand miles.

I would not experiment with M1 that early in the engine life. I've had 5 Nissans (2 trucks, 2 Maximas/Infiniti and a Sentra) and have noticed increased oil consumption if you switch to synthetic before 10k. If I were you, I would use a high quality 5W/10W-30 (Chevron Supreme, Pennzoil or GTX) every 3-4k until 10k. Even afterwards, I would think seriously whether synthetic oil is necessary or otherwise justified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back