Oil recommendations for 2015 Silverado 4.3 10,000 mile OCI

Given the price that the Chevy dealer wants for an oil change these days, I’m considering taking over the oil change duties of my wife’s Silverado. It’s a low mileage vehicle considering it’s age, 65,xxx on the odometer at the last change. I was considering using Mobil 1 5w-30 and a Motorcraft FL500s for a 10,000 mile OCI. Does this sound reasonable? All advice is appreciated!

I think that’s probably not a bad idea, that’s a 0W20 spec’d engine, right? I can’t remember.

I will say this though, that engine (if I remember) has AFM and is direct injected. I wouldn’t go 10,000 miles on that engine. I owned the 5.3 version of that truck and I don’t know many people that even went over 5,000 miles on their intervals. Oil consumption and collapsing lifters are/were, still a problem with the 2015’s.

Given the price that the Chevy dealer wants for an oil change these days, I’m considering taking over the oil change duties of my wife’s Silverado. It’s a low mileage vehicle considering it’s age, 65,xxx on the odometer at the last change. I was considering using Mobil 1 5w-30 and a Motorcraft FL500s for a 10,000 mile OCI. Does this sound reasonable? All advice is appreciated!
If it were mine, I would change the oil AND FILTER every 5K miles. YMMV

It's way past warranty period, why not give it a more stout oil for the same money? My vote goes to Mobil 1 FS 0W-40, the flagship oil of Exxon's line-up. (excluding racing oils) I like everyone's suggestions for 5000 mile OCI.

On all vehicles I own and maintain for family - I run oils that meet stringent Porsche A40 and MB229.5 approvals. Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 or Quaker state EURO 5W-40 (my two current favorites) have both of those approvals and more. Because why not get the better oil if it costs the same as the "vanilla" 5W-30 with a weaker add pack?
I also run 5000 mile OCI across the board. Except for my liquid-cooled scooters, those don't have oil filters, only mesh screens, so they get 1000-1500 mile OCI.

Considering that it is a 7 year old vehicle with just 65,000 miles on it (9,200 miles a year), you definitely shouldn't be exceeding one year between changes for sure. I wouldn't go any past 7,500 miles for sure.

Last edited:
I have the same engine in my '16 Sierra. I have been following the OLM, changing at about 7-10%. Generally works out to about 7200 miles. I've been running my stash of RGT 5w30 that I purchased on clearance a few years ago, but have also had a few runs of QSUD, SuperTech, and Mobil1. At 84k now, still runs like new.
Whatever you choose, make sure it's at least Dexos gen2 and no more than 7500 miles. Don't want all that DI soot wearing out the timing chain prematurely.

If you're staying with an approved oil the M1 EP 5w30/Edge EP 5w30.

If you want something more robust, HPL 5w30, Amsoil 5w30 or Red Line 5w30.

If you're staying with an approved oil the M1 EP 5w30/Edge EP 5w30.

If you want something more robust, HPL 5w30, Amsoil 5w30 or Red Line 5w30.
Nailed it.

I really don't think 10K is a huge barrier in this engine with a good oil. Or as suggested, do as I do in my Tacoma. Change your oil once a year.

With a DI engine, I wouldn't exceed the OCI in the owner's manual or the OLM without a few UOA's to track the fuel dilution.

Any Dexos1 approved oil would be sufficient. If you want to do UOA's, I would just try to be consistent with what you purchase.

A MC FL-500s would be a fine choice for the price, I would try to look in the filter before purchasing to verify that the louvers in the center tube are adequately punched open. A Wix WL10255 would be a good alternative

I have the same engine in my '16 Sierra. I have been following the OLM, changing at about 7-10%. Generally works out to about 7200 miles. I've been running my stash of RGT 5w30 that I purchased on clearance a few years ago, but have also had a few runs of QSUD, SuperTech, and Mobil1. At 84k now, still runs like new.
Whatever you choose, make sure it's at least Dexos gen2 and no more than 7500 miles. Don't want all that DI soot wearing out the timing chain prematurely.
The OLM on that vehicle will not allow you to go above 7,500 miles...you could have 40% oil life remaining at 7,400 miles, and it would still drop to 0% as soon as you hit 7.500 miles. GM dialed back their oil change intervals because of timing chain issues years ago (at least I think it was timing chains, I can't remember).

The OLM on that vehicle will not allow you to go above 7,500 miles...you could have 40% oil life remaining at 7,400 miles, and it would still drop to 0% as soon as you hit 7.500 miles. GM dialed back their oil change intervals because of timing chain issues years ago (at least I think it was timing chains, I can't remember).
I had a beater car for around town for the first 2 years I had my Sierra, so the truck would sit for periods without use. I never reached 0% on time, but I could see the %life remaining drop a few percent when the truck sat for a month. It will never be at 40% and 7400 miles. I lose about 1% per 75 miles unless I'm towing heavy and often often. Then it drops faster on mileage. So it doesn't drop like at rock ever.

Last edited:
I had a beater car for around town for the first 2 years I had my Sierra, so the truck would sit for periods without use. I never reached 0% on time, but I could see the %life remaining drop a few percent when the truck sat for a month. It will never be at 40% and 7400 miles. I lose about 1% per 75 miles unless I'm towing heavy and often often. Then it drops faster on mileage. So it doesn't drop like at rock ever.
Mine would fluctuate on driving conditions and weather, but as soon as the 7,500 miles hit? Right to 0%.

Back