Oil recommendations for 2005 Hyundai Elantra 71kmi

Status
Not open for further replies.
With previous vehicles I've always had services done by mechanic or dealer. Recently I've become disappointed with their service and price and want to start doing them myself.

I just purchased a used 2005 Elantra with 71k miles. It appears to be in great shape with regular servicing. I'm going to do an oil change this weekend and would like to know the best weight/brand.

-2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS
-2.0L 4 Cylinder
-71k Miles
-35mi each way to work and mostly short trips through the day.
-I near Seattle, WA. cool/moderate temperature
-easy driving style aiming for decent MPG

Few questions:

Should I put in some Seafoam or another 'engine cleaner/flush' prior to the oil change?

Should i switch to synthetic at this point with 71k miles?

I planned on purchasing the an OEM filter from the dealer for $7, is there something better?

Also- I plan on either driving this vehicle into the ground as a commuter or giving it to a family member so I'd like to get the most life out of it. Thanks!

Also, should I consider high milage oil at this point? Id prefer to do the longest OCI's that are reasonably safe if that makes a difference in weight/brand.

Stick with the OEM filters. Use the 5w30/0w30 Mobil 1,5w30 Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum and you have a guaranteed good combo. It will give you great protection and the option for longer intervals. I would not extend past 5k on your first change since there will probably be some cleaning going on, do an oil analysis to extend OCI from there. There are many different oils to go with but this simply is the best quality option in my book. Do not worry about HM oils unless you are burning through oil.

Talk to BITOG member Pablo if you are interested in Amsoil.

Chubbs

Last edited:
Are you gonna be above -9 Fahrenheit ?
grin2.gif

Get you some 10W-30 Chevron Supreme
thumbsup2.gif

No Seafoam or other additives !!
31.gif

Originally Posted By: mgb_
.... I just purchased a used 2005 Elantra with 71k miles. It appears to be in great shape with regular servicing. I'm going to do an oil change this weekend and would like to know the best weight/brand. ....

.... Should i switch to synthetic at this point with 71k miles?

I planned on purchasing the an OEM filter from the dealer for $7, is there something better?.....

I have the same vehicle with the same mileage on it.

I ran it on a diet of 5W-30 synthetic, mostly Mobil 1, when it was new and then switched to 0W-20 Mobil 1 after a couple of years.

I would try 0W-20 and see what oil consumption looks like. Mine uses about a half quart in 5,000 miles. This oil gives you some advantages on gas mileage and on cold starts and short trips.

If I plan on taking it on vacation, I do move over to the 5W-30 or 0W-30 before the trip just to provide a little cushion for sustained highway driving in the summer heat.

As to filters, I have used the PL14459 Purolator Pure One, Hyundai 26300-35501, and M1-104 Mobil 1 filters. After trying all three, I bought a case of the Hyundai filters. The current version is the 26300-35503, basically the same filter. The construction is top notch and my UOAs were as good as when I used the others.

The only other thing I noted is that the factory uses a metal crush gasket for the drain. I have found the nylon gaskets to seal much better with lower torque, so I bought a bunch (14 mm) and use a new one each change.

I would change the PCV Valve and use a good synthetic in the weight recommended on the oil fill cap or users manual.

Would not use Seafoam or another engine cleaner or a flush.

OEM filters would be a +.

I had an '05 Elantra I bought new, and from 1800 miles to 80,000 miles I ran Amsoil Signature Series 0w30 usually with a NAPA Gold filter. One year intervals and UOA's looked great. Wish I never sold that car.

My 2005 Elantra has 57k miles. I use Havoline 5w30 and Purolator 14459 filter. Been a good combo for me and my easy driving style.

BTW, if you are still on the original timing belt, get it changed ASAP. You are on borrowed time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back