Oil recommendations for 1996 Lincoln town car

I've always believed that 5w30 is the best compromise between mpg and a long lasting engine. Kind of right in the middle of old school thick and modern too thin for my taste.
I tend to agree with you. A full synthetic 5W30 will serve most people very well most of the time, barring the extreme conditions.

If you want to fine tune it, you can get a thicker 5W30 A3/B4 oil for European vehicles or more performance applications, or a thinner 5W30 Dexos1-Gen2 / GF-6 oil for more fuel economy and commuter applications.

Right now I’m running Edge 5W30 in one car and Magnatec 5W30 in the other.

I tend to agree with you. A full synthetic 5W30 will serve most people very well most of the time, barring the extreme conditions.

If you want to fine tune it, you can get a thicker 5W30 A3/B4 oil for European vehicles or more performance applications, or a thinner 5W30 Dexos1-Gen2 / GF-6 oil for more fuel economy and commuter applications.

Right now I’m running Edge 5W30 in one car and Magnatec 5W30 in the other.
Yes, I'll probably go 5w30 next time around. I just had a bunch of 5w40 laying around. Went ahead and purchased a couple 5 quart jugs of Supertech advanced synthetic 5w30 for the next couple oil changes.

Reactions: SR5
25 year old car. I say run whatever you have and it will make zero difference here. If it was me, I'd just do whatever Ford recommends in terms of viscosity and hit Walmart for some Supertech in that flavor.

Heinz ain't what it used to be. Pretty horrid now actually. Even then. the only the Restaurant Pack was great.

I prefer Red Gold. Didn't know about this stuff until a Greek Sub shop gave me some packets
for my fries with my meat pie slice. - Wowza !

I do buy Bayer coated 81mg aspirin BC I tried a few generic and they didn't cut it.

- Ken
Just got my Red Gold. Man o Man....

This is what ketchup should taste like!!!

I got 3 bottles and almost ate a whole bottle with my HB and FF's!

I recently sold my father in laws 1997 Town Car with 300k on the odometer. That thing was lucky if it ever got an oil change with the cheapest oil on the shelf, but the engine still ran great and burned next to no oil. Honestly, anything from 5w20 to 15w40 will work just fine.

I would use a high mileage formula 5w-30, mainly for the benefit of seal conditioners. I would also see if the transmission is in need of service. Yours has a drain plug on the torque converter, so a complete drain & refill with Mercon V is straightforward.

Back