Oil recommendations for 1996 Lincoln town car

Hello all

I recently purchased a 1996 Lincoln town car 4.6 2v. I already bought a fram ultra xg2 as the filter. I'm looking for oil recommendations. I've got a stash of Euro 5w40 oil and also some Rotella t6 5w40. My hyundai veracruz seems to like the thicker oil. It has over 223k miles on it so that may be why. The Lincoln has 138k miles on it and the engine runs great so far. I'm not going with the Ford 5w20 recommended viscosity. I'm thinking maybe a decent but not overly expensive 5w30 or maybe just using some of the 5w40 I currently have stashed away. The car will get mostly interstate miles due to my job. I'm trying to mix driving that and my veracruz to keep some miles off the SUV. Open to any suggestions or reasons as to why I shouldn't just use 5w40 as that's what I have laying around.

if you do bi annual oil changes just go 5w40 summer 5w30 winter or even better 5w20 winter, i know you want to shy away from the ford rec of 5w20 but i think for your winters the 20 weight would be a better choice.

Use the 5w-40, since your already have it.
I think I might actually have some of that laying around also and considered it. The car will spend a lot of time at 75-80 mph for long stretches of highway so I'm just trying to figure out how to best protect it, but I do realize these engines are common and appear to be reliable.

Use the 5w-40, since your already have it.
Somehow I clicked on the wrong post to reply. I actually meant to respond to the supertech 5w30 reply. But I am somewhat leaning towards the 5w40 for the higher hths viscosity for higher highway speeds in the middle of summer.

Hello all

I recently purchased a 1996 Lincoln town car 4.6 2v. I already bought a fram ultra xg2 as the filter. I'm looking for oil recommendations. I've got a stash of Euro 5w40 oil and also some Rotella t6 5w40. My hyundai veracruz seems to like the thicker oil. It has over 223k miles on it so that may be why. The Lincoln has 138k miles on it and the engine runs great so far. I'm not going with the Ford 5w20 recommended viscosity. I'm thinking maybe a decent but not overly expensive 5w30 or maybe just using some of the 5w40 I currently have stashed away. The car will get mostly interstate miles due to my job. I'm trying to mix driving that and my veracruz to keep some miles off the SUV. Open to any suggestions or reasons as to why I shouldn't just use 5w40 as that's what I have laying around.

Both the oils you already have on hand will work well for that engine.

Hello all

The 2v 4.6 usually takes 6 quarts in most applications. I used the Havoline ProDS 6 qt smart change box in mine. With an inexpensive filter you will be out the door for ~$25 for 6 qts of full synthetic oil and a filter. Nearly unbeatable for the quality and convenience.

Probably....I tend to do that. Spent too much time reading posts on this site I think. Lots of good information but tends to lead down a rabbit hole if you let it.
Nearly every one of the threads on the topic "Hey the OEM engineers don't know enough so what viscosity oil should I use?" are useless and non-actionable. All the favoritism and preferentialism you find here is background noise and worth exactly what you paid for it.

Start with OEM recommendation, run for 5k, get a UOA done. At that point you have information about your specific operating conditions.
Use that analysis to make a data driven decision.

Nearly every one of the threads on the topic "Hey the OEM engineers don't know enough so what viscosity oil should I use?" are useless and non-actionable. All the favoritism and preferentialism you find here is background noise and worth exactly what you paid for it.

Start with OEM recommendation, run for 5k, get a UOA done. At that point you have information about your specific operating conditions.
Use that analysis to make a data driven decision.
I agree a uoa would probably be a good idea in the near future. I also agree about all the speculation and guesses on what might be best. I was going on the assumption that someone else on here has the same engine and looking to see what they have been using with good results.

Back