oil recommendations 148,000 mile Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I recently purchased a 2007 Chevy Silverado 4WD pick up with 148K from my neighbor. He was the original owner and serviced the vehicle himself performing oil changes about every 3,000 miles. He used Valvoline conventional oil. I would like to take the truck to the dealer for their oil change special; full synthetic oil change and tire rotation for about $50 including their multi point check. I like that they check everything over, obviously trying to do an upsell. I feel that I would pretty much get a free vehicle inspection. Should I be worried about switching to synthetic at this stage in the game. The truck appears to be in great shape, no leaks, everything works, etc. His service records show all fluids were routinely changed too. The truck is basically an extra vehicle for me, it will be handy for college moves, etc. Probably do about 6K miles per year, mostly city type driving, not severe use.

Last edited:
If the truck has AFM i wouldnt do 10k mile ocis. I usualy change the oil in my 5.3 every 6 thousand with M1 or pp. Ive gone 8k miles a couplle times though. You want to keep that engine especially clean with the AFM system so you dont have oil consumption or lifter issues. The previous owner was on top of that with short ocis.

Change it once a year and you'll be fine.

No issues switching to synthetic, I switched my Camry to synthetic at 200k miles.

You didn't mention what engine. The 2007-2011 5.3L w/AFM is well known to burn oil, collapse lifters which eat up the cam lobes. Recommend you do the Afm DOD delete, install new valve cover with updated PCV hole. This is not an engine for extended drains. Keep the oil changes short. 6k max. Listen for excessive ticking. It's a sign that a lifter is starting to collapse. Get an answer from him about oil consumption.

Sorry, forgot to mention it has the 5.3 with AFM. Hopefully his frequent changes have prevented some of the problems associated with the afm system. I will ask him if he had to top off between changes.

I also think one year intervals with synthetic should work fine here. I also wanted to comment that I think it's cool you're finally posting here, after joining almost 10 years ago!
smile.gif

I know my 2015 5.3 is a whole different engine but i have 115,000 on it now and have used M1 or PP with 5-7k mile ocis for the most part since new. Uses No Oil.
If you keep clean oil in these afm engines you wont have issues.

I know the LT1 engine in my Corvette is a completely different design, but it looks so far like GM has gotten the AFM system right on it, as there are a few people on Corvetteforum now over 100k on their C7s or close to it, without a single report of any issues. The LT1 is not known to be an oil burner either, very few people report having that issue. (even during the initial break in my oil never needed topping up at all)

There is nothing wrong with using synthetic at any mileage
smile.gif

Your truck has the OLM which calculates the right OCI for you and your driving conditions. You can follow it with no problems.

Originally Posted by Patman
I also think one year intervals with synthetic should work fine here. I also wanted to comment that I think it's cool you're finally posting here, after joining almost 10 years ago!
smile.gif

Long time lurker!

Any off the shelf synthetic meeting your manuals spec will be fine. I wouldn't do longer OCI's in the beginning as there might be some initial cleaning that goes on with the Synthetic after conventional. Although changed at 3K miles the inside of the engine must be pretty clean so you might be ok with a longer OCI right from the beginning.

With proper maintenance that truck should do well for you.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC
Any off the shelf synthetic meeting your manuals spec will be fine. I wouldn't do longer OCI's in the beginning as there might be some initial cleaning that goes on with the Synthetic after conventional. Although changed at 3K miles the inside of the engine must be pretty clean so you might be ok with a longer OCI right from the beginning.

With proper maintenance that truck should do well for you.
thumbsup2.gif

Prior owner has done 3K OCIs (read first post here). That engine is probably relatively clean, because of frequent changes.

I would stick with what's been working..... Valvoline White Bottle and 3K OCIs. Change the filter every-other oil change (6K ). Fram EG oil filter is all that vehicle needs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Prior owner has done 3K OCIs (read first post here). That engine is probably relatively clean, because of frequent changes..

Did you read my post fully where I mentioned that?

Originally Posted by StevieC
... Although changed at 3K miles the inside of the engine must be pretty clean so you might be ok with a longer OCI right from the beginning.

Last edited:
Ya the old 5.3 afm engines you wana keep clean oil, I would keep sending it up to 6k max with dexos approved oil. As far as some of other comments about 14+ 5.3s their solid engines I wouldnt go past 8k which is about max life roughly of OLM system. The L83 5.3 is LT1 based engine like the new Vets, Very reliable no AFM issues no oil consumption really good engine from what ive seen on groups and forums. I used to have 15 5.3 before this dmax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back