oil recommendation. lexus/toyota oil guys please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate all the help guys! I went ahead and did the oil change yesterday and went with 5-30 mobil 1 high mileage and a wix filter. I guess I'll just say my prayers and keep and eye on it and hope it don't have any negative effects. It sounds very quite and feels smooth I will say that much. If anything bad happens I guess I could go back to a dino. Maybe the valvoline max life if its a good one. Thanks guys!

My 1994 LS400 with more than 300k miles had dino syn of different brands every 1-2 OCI's, it never had same oil brand for more than 2 OCI's and never had same oil type (dino or syn) for more than 3 OCI's. Whatever oil brand/type it had depended on what I bought on sale at that time. Only 1 consistence was no more than 7-8k/6mo on dino and once a year on syn.

The engine is running as good now as it was 300k miles ago without any problem.

Originally Posted By: 2000RX300
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Hello,
Syn creating leaks is no longer true today, completely different chemistry from 20-30 years ago. Toyota engine. love M1...

People should stop saying things like this. I was told the same [censored] when I was thinking about switching my 100k RX300 to synthetic. I tried PP, M1 HM, & GTX HM. Multiple OCI's on the last 2 oil brands. The oil usage and smoke on startup never stopped. Switching back to VWB stopping the issues I saw with those 3 oils and it never consumed oil again. That Toyota engine didn't like synthetic. Other peoples may do just fine but making a general statement isn't helpful. The synthetic oil didn't cause the leaks or oil usage but it still leaked and wasn't suitable in that engine...
Originally Posted By: blk99gst
I appreciate all the help guys! I went ahead and did the oil change yesterday and went with 5-30 mobil 1 high mileage and a wix filter. I guess I'll just say my prayers and keep and eye on it and hope it don't have any negative effects. It sounds very quite and feels smooth I will say that much. If anything bad happens I guess I could go back to a dino. Maybe the valvoline max life if its a good one. Thanks guys!

M1 hm by all accounts is a very good product. If by some stroke of bad luck you do get a weeping gasket don't fret. The adds in the hm oil will take care of them just takes time.
I don't think you can go wrong with your plan of action however consumption may increase for a short time.
Every time you change the oil the new oil strips the old oils anti-wear later then adds its own. So for that period you may experience more consumption but have no fear it should subside.
This is one of the reasons extended drains lessen wear metals per 1000 miles. Its because there is less of the stripping of the previous layer and adding of a new one,so longer drains actually lessen wear metals over the long term.

If you have switched to M1 5w30 I suggest to:
1. Change the oil filter after 700 miles and top up
2. Change the oil filter after another 1000 miles and top up
3. Change both engine oil and oil filter after another 1300 miles.
4. Change both engine oil and oil filter after 3000 miles
5. Change both engine oil and oil filter after 5000 miles unless severe conditions apply
6. Stick to regular OCIs

Some may not agree with above and tell you it is unnecessary, I believe it is, and this is the procedure I would use now that you have put an oil with excellent cleaning properties in it.

This process will prevent the oil filter from clogging up. As your engine condition is unknown, I would make sure any varnish or particle debris that is being removed from the engine internals is done in a safe manner.

Despite some may say this process is no longer required for modern / latest oils, in your case it is cheap insurance as well as saying prayers and keeping an eye on things.

Its not too late to drain and put in the "original" oil used over these many years.

IMO my opinion is valid, just ask me.

Last edited:
With 200K on the odo and uncertain prior maintenance, I’m surprised np one has recommended an engine cleaning- AutoRx, LC20, etc. I use LC20 in my 01 LS430 (163K) and it still runs great with no oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: virginoil
If you have switched to M1 5w30 I suggest to:
1. Change the oil filter after 700 miles and top up
2. Change the oil filter after another 1000 miles and top up
3. Change both engine oil and oil filter after another 1300 miles.
4. Change both engine oil and oil filter after 3000 miles
5. Change both engine oil and oil filter after 5000 miles unless severe conditions apply
confused.gif

Some may not agree with above and tell you it is unnecessary, I believe it is, and this is the procedure I would use now that you have put an oil with excellent cleaning properties in it.
Is it really that good though?

Despite some may say this process is no longer required for modern / latest oils, in your case it is cheap insurance as well as saying prayers and keeping an eye on things.
Doesn't "cheap insurance" = "keeping an eye on things"? Now, regarding saying prayers...well that's just plain silly.
crazy.gif

IMO my opinion is valid, just ask me.
crackmeup2.gif

"Now, regarding saying prayers"

This is a quote by the OP and I thought in this case the vehicle needs all the help (including divine intervention
coffee2.gif
) it can get.

Quite an intelligent comment IMO.
grin.gif

Last edited:
I will still say my prayers either way
smile.gif

So, are u saying u would not have went to syn?
smirk.gif
like I said I have no idea what was ran by previous owners. May have been Dino or could have Been syn... or both. I just hope it does okay. Could change out the filter pretty easy if that is needed or might be good.

Summer Maxlife 5W30 Blend
Winter M1 5W30 or PU 5W30 Synthetic
No need of any cleaning additive.
Change PCV every 30K, using 91 OCT Tier 1 gasoline.

I will still say my prayers either way
smile.gif

So, are u saying u would not have went to syn?
smirk.gif
like I said I have no idea what was ran by previous owners. May have been Dino or could have Been syn... or both. I just hope it does okay. Could change out the filter pretty easy if that is needed or might be good.

At 200k miles, unknown previous oil, I would use an oil with the OEM approval and OEM specified grade for the engine in question (including transmission fluid, power steering fluid etc). I would not use any oil that states "meets or exceeds the..." regardless how sexy or fabulous it is portrayed.

As you have already changed the oil then I recommend to use the oil filter change at intervals mentioned to ensure that the oil filter doesn't clog and it trips itself into bypass mode causing excessive oil burning/ consumption. (BTW this process is a summary of what I learnt over the years of surfing the net and observing feedback from posters experiencing excessive oil use when switching brands without using an oil filter change process in the initial OCI stage.)

After you have completed your oil change process mentioned above I would stick with the M1 high mileage oil (or an OEM approved oil) and not look back or switch again. Others may not agree.

I would to strongly reiterate the recommendation by another poster to change the PCV valve unless this has already been done recently by the previous owner. (Unless you need to pull half of the engine apart to get to it).

Last edited:
I think, in the absence of actual knowledge of the engine's condition, that OP should pull one of the valve covers and look....changing the Valve Cover Gasket may be/will likely be needed and if so then OP knows to replace the other VCG...

I have 144,000 miles on my '02 RX300. Been using regular 5w-30 dino oil since day one and get it changed every 5,000 miles, The filter is key. i only use the WIX 51348 (same exact filter as Napa Gold with different color on case). I also use Bestline engine treatment with each change. Runs like new. I don't know if synthetic is better or if it makes your seals swell or whatever. I know I'm going to keep using the same regular dino 5w-30, WIX filter and Bestline treatment that has brought me to 144K.

Originally Posted by nickycee
I have 144,000 miles on my '02 RX300. Been using regular 5w-30 dino oil since day one and get it changed every 5,000 miles, The filter is key. i only use the WIX 51348 (same exact filter as Napa Gold with different color on case). I also use Bestline engine treatment with each change. Runs like new. I don't know if synthetic is better or if it makes your seals swell or whatever. I know I'm going to keep using the same regular dino 5w-30, WIX filter and Bestline treatment that has brought me to 144K.

Well for what, $20+ a bottle it better do something, right?

Originally Posted by nickycee

Bestline specifically says not to use with Toyota brand oil. Hopefully you're using something else. That tells me that Bestline is NOT compatible with all oil formulations.

Any major full synthetic will serve you well. Why? Take my word I've used a bunch of them and at over 124,000 my Corolla uses a cup of oil in a 5K + OCI.

OP in your warm climate with some leaking you might consider a 10w-30 HM. Lots of folks like M1 but there are many others out there.

Originally Posted by Jeffs2006EvoIX
My Mom has a 2001 IS300 that my parents bought new in 2001. My Dad has put M1 5w30 in every 3K miles for the past 12 years and 150K
Jeff

Holy carp that is excessively early! Unless your mom does all short trips stop and go (and even then probably!) that's a lot of wasted oil....

Your neck of the woods I'd run the Truck & Diesel M1 5/40 and a Ultra filter. that'll clean and if possible at all stop the consumption and certainly run a dozen tanks of spiked fuel.

Additives are not required with modern oils. Use a quality oil that meets/exceeds your manufacturers recommendations in the owners manual and change at a reasonable interval. That's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back