Oil recommendation Genesis GV80

I have a 2021 GV80 3.5 twin turbo V6. Oil spec is 0W-30 SN+ or SP. I get free service for 3 years and have 18 months left of it. I have only had one oil change done as I don't put many miles on it. Regardless, I am planning on doing my own oil changes at some point.

For roughly 50 years I have only used Castrol but they do not currently sell one with the required spec. One option is Mobil 1™ 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy but i was wondering if there are better options I should consider.

i appreciate your feedback.

The "spec" is an API SN PLUS or SP license, I'm sure Castrol sells one. The grade is a recommendation.
I chatted with Castrol on its website and they confirmed they currently do not have one in that spec for 0W-30.

I chatted with Castrol on its website and they confirmed they currently do not have one in that spec for 0W-30.

That may be true but they do have 5W-30 in that spec.

Again, ask the dealership what they use. You might be surprised that they use 5W-30.

I have a 2021 GV80 3.5 twin turbo V6. Oil spec is 0W-30 SN+ or SP. I get free service for 3 years and have 18 months left of it. I have only had one oil change done as I don't put many miles on it. Regardless, I am planning on doing my own oil changes at some point.

For roughly 50 years I have only used Castrol but they do not currently sell one with the required spec. One option is Mobil 1™ 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy but i was wondering if there are better options I should consider.

i appreciate your feedback.
Hyundai dealerships don't carry any sort of 0W-30 oil. Heck, most of them have one cheap low end synthetic that they use in everything, and it's usually a 5W-30.

That engine runs hot, I mean, really hot, especially when you put the hammer down. I recommend @High Performance Lubricants (they have plenty of good options, including several 0W-30 offerings), however, if you want an off the shelf product that you can buy at Walmart, is made by Castrol, and is very good, then I recommend Castrol EDGE EP 5W-30. It claims ACEA C2, and uses a MB 229.71 approved additive package. Funny thing is that you will only find 0W-20 and 5W-20 MB 229.71 approved oils because of fuel economy requirements, however, it is a very good additive package.

Now, if it was my Genesis, I would absolutely go with @High Performance Lubricants Supercar 0W-30. Yes, it's expensive, but it's the best there is.

From your owner manual:

*3 : If the above recommended specification oil is not available, SAE 0W-30 grade synthetic oil can be used. If mineral oil or semi-synthetic oil is used, it is a severe maintenance condition in terms of engine oil change.

1669406052463.jpg

Hyundai/Genesis insist on the grade more than the approvals. So you can either go with @High Performance Lubricants, or if you want something available at your local Walmart, there is Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, also a very good product.

Whatever you decide to do, don't put dealer bulk in that beautiful engine, you will regret it down the line.

[Edit]

I wouldn't use Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30, it shears down very fast under high heat and fuel dilution conditions. Use Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again the grade is a recommendation.

Especially the winter rating. That’s determined by your expected starting temperature.
Hyundai Genesis is asking for a 0W winter rating because they want their customers to use synthetic oil. They know their customer base well, and are still traumatized by the amount of engines they had to replace in the past. Not all of the failures were Hyundai's fault, but they hard to replace them anyway. Uhm, like that one lady that drove into our Hyundai dealership who bought a brand new Tucson and at 25,000 miles she came in for her first oil change... :whistle:

Hyundai dealerships don't carry any sort of 0W-30 oil. Heck, most of them have one cheap low end synthetic that they use in everything, and it's usually a 5W-30.
Some Hyundai dealers do, it’s been talked about on the Hyundai forums a few times. IIRC, it was the Hyundai dealers who are also authorized Genesis dealerships.

I can assure you most Hyundai dealerships don’t use house synthetic for their standard oil changes.

I wouldn't use Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30, it shears down very fast under high heat and fuel dilution conditions. Use Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 instead.
AFE 0W-30 is fine for this engine.

Everyone's feedback has been helpful so thanks. I looked at my paperwork for my only oil change and they did put in 5W-30 synthetic and not 0W-30. As a note, I live in Phoenix AZ and cold temperature starts is not an issue.

With this in mind, does it mean using 5W-30 SN+ or SP is fine for this engine? If so, would using a different grade void the engine waranty? I assume it is not an issue because the dealer put it in but it may have been their mistake.

Other than gas mileage, is there a reason to use 0W-30 over 5W-30 or vice versa?

Everyone's feedback has been helpful so thanks. I looked at my paperwork for my only oil change and they did put in 5W-30 synthetic and not 0W-30. As a note, I live in Phoenix AZ and cold temperature starts is not an issue.

With this in mind, does it mean using 5W-30 SN+ or SP is fine for this engine? If so, would using a different grade void the engine waranty? I assume it is not an issue because the dealer put it in but it may have been their mistake.

Other than gas mileage, is there a reason to use 0W-30 over 5W-30 or vice versa?
Does it say anywhere that using a different winter rating than listed will violate your new-car warranty? And gas mileage is not affected by the winter rating. It is affected by the operating viscosity.At any temperature above -35 or so there is no guarantee either oil would be thinner or thicker than the other. Both are -30 grade oils.

No one would ever run any test that would determine the winter rating of an oil. It is an expensive test, and besides the rating can shift during use. It would be a meaningless test, just as meaningless as the rating is there in Arizona.You're using a -30 grade oil and actually the grade is relatively meaningless too since it is the HT/HS that determines how the oil will protect the engine. You could use a -30 grade oil with a 0W, a 5W or a 10W rating and it wouldn't make a bit of difference to the engine.

In Phoenix there is absolutely no reason to give the winter rating a second thought. ZERO! There is no difference between a 0W-30 and 5W-30 as far as gas mileage as they are the same viscosity at operating temperature. Dealerships don't goo around looking to screw people using a 5W-30 when the car is spec'd for 0W-30. If you can provide proof that the oil was changed with an appropriately cert'd 5W-30 at the appropriate interval you're good to go. You are WAY over thinking this decision.

In Phoenix there is absolutely no reason to give the winter rating a second thought. ZERO! There is no difference between a 0W-30 and 5W-30 as far as gas mileage as they are the same viscosity at operating temperature. Dealerships don't goo around looking to screw people using a 5W-30 when the car is spec'd for 0W-30. If you can provide proof that the oil was changed with an appropriately cert'd 5W-30 at the appropriate interval you're good to go. You are WAY over thinking this decision.
Plus again no engine is “spec’d” for a specific winter rating. As I know you know, it is designed for a minimum safe HT/HS to prevent excessive wear or damage.

Looks like your dealer is already using 5W-30. Since you like Castrol just go with Castrol Edge 5W-30 in the black bottle.

Hyundai Genesis is asking for a 0W winter rating because they want their customers to use synthetic oil. They know their customer base well, and are still traumatized by the amount of engines they had to replace in the past. Not all of the failures were Hyundai's fault, but they hard to replace them anyway. Uhm, like that one lady that drove into our Hyundai dealership who bought a brand new Tucson and at 25,000 miles she came in for her first oil change... :whistle:
The customer base for Genesis today is nothing like the Hyundai customer base of years past.

How do you know?
What do you mean how do I know? Luxury brand versus value brand. Genesis is a Mercedes/Lexus/BMW equivalent. When you get a Genesis serviced, you call the dealer and they pick it up for you and bring it back to intentionally keep that clientele out of the Hyundai showroom. That's literally a tactic of theirs to maintain the upscale image and keep the two brands separated in experience.

Last edited:
What do you mean how do I know? Luxury brand versus value brand. Genesis is a Mercedes/Lexus/BMW equivalent. When you get a Genesis serviced, you call the dealer and they pick it up for you and bring it back to intentionally keep that clientele out of the Hyundai showroom. That's literally a tactic of their to maintain the upscale imagine and keep the two brands separated in experience.
I'm curious to see if @Nick1994 experienced it like this with his Genesis.

Back