Oil Recommendation For Suzuki Xl-7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im wondering what kind of oil (dino or synthetic) I should use for my parents Suzuki XL-7 SUV. It is powered by a 2.7L V6 and runs on 5W-30.

The SUV sits in a garage for 2 weeks and gets highway driven once every two weekends. But starting in September it will be used to pick up kids so it will see a lot of short trips. (4 miles per day).

Currently filled with Mobil (Dino) Clean 5K 5W-30 with a M1 Filter. I would like to change the oil just once a year.

TIA

Last edited:
Any SM/GF-4 Rated dino and change at the Oil Life Monitor's recommendation if equipped at no less than 15% or at 5K miles if not equipped with a OLM.

Good engine, pretty easy on oil... Use what's on sale along with a good quality filter like an M1, Pureone Napa-Gold/Pro!

cheers3.gif

welcome2.gif
as well, even though you registered in '08, I see this is your first posts!

Originally Posted By: HCSkorpio
Thanks for the quick reply. Should a synthetic be used or would I be wasting my money?

Nah, a synth should be fine...

Thanks for the quick reply. Should a synthetic be used or would I be wasting my money?
In California and with that vehicle a Syn would be overkill IMO. Now if you move to Canada and have to tough out the cold winters, then I would suggest a syn!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
In California and with that vehicle a Syn would be overkill IMO. Now if you move to Canada and have to tough out the cold winters, then I would suggest a syn!
grin2.gif

Hey Stevie,can you imagine being an ice road trucker?? and having to pay for a synthetic oil change in one of those babies??
shocked2.gif

I suspect most of the ice road truckers run just regular 15W-40...low cost is always on their mind, and many of them either a) never shut off the engine, or b) use a heater blanket to keep the engine warm.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I suspect most of the ice road truckers run just regular 15W-40...low cost is always on their mind, and many of them either a) never shut off the engine, or b) use a heater blanket to keep the engine warm.

never shut the engine down....good point,or at least not shut off long. Hey HCSkorpio,sorry to get off track on you,above recommendations will be fine for you. Personal,I would use Pennzoil yb or valvoline.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114

Hey Stevie,can you imagine being an ice road trucker?? and having to pay for a synthetic oil change in one of those babies??
shocked2.gif

Yeah no kidding. I have a story for you... I was in Alaska just before spring-time for something work related and I rented a car to do some sight seeing while I was there because I figured I would never get the chance to go to Alaska again for free.

They didn't have the model that I reserved but gave me a brand new Mitsubishi lancer that they had just gotten in the day earlier. It had 14KM on it!
shocked2.gif
Anyways... I got in it, unplugged it in the lot and started it up and drove off. I got to my destination and I parked the car for the night... I figured they plugged them in to have instant heat for their customers... Not knowing that the 1 plug supplies power to a battery blanket and the block heater. Also I was tired after 13.5 hours of flying and catching a connector flight.

It was super cold, something like -55oC that day, I go out the next morning put my junk in the trunk, get in the car and the turn the key and I get nothing, nodda, no ticking, no cranking, no nothing...

I call the rental place and they tell me they will send a tow truck and replace the car. So this happens, and I get a new car... I get a call that afternoon that the reason why the car wouldn't start was because the battery and engine were frozen solid and that I have to plug in the car they just gave me in order to keep it from freezing.

I said, well why didn't someone tell me, You can see that I'm not from Alaska. I had a big fight with them and they were trying to charge me for the repairs to the cars engine which blew the frost plugs etc.

It was a nasty situation, but I honestly was so cold when I got out of the car I wasn't thinking about plugging it in... Nor was I informed at the time of pickup.

I battled Enterprise on it for 2 days and I ended up calling their head office in the US and finally got out of the cost of repairs.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

shocked2.gif

Yeah no kidding. I have a story for you... I was in Alaska just before spring-time for something work related and I rented a car to do some sight seeing while I was there because I figured I would never get the chance to go to Alaska again for free.

They didn't have the model that I reserved but gave me a brand new Mitsubishi lancer that they had just gotten in the day earlier. It had 14KM on it!
shocked2.gif
Anyways... I got in it, unplugged it in the lot and started it up and drove off. I got to my destination and I parked the car for the night... I figured they plugged them in to have instant heat for their customers... Not knowing that the 1 plug supplies power to a battery blanket and the block heater. Also I was tired after 13.5 hours of flying and catching a connector flight.

It was super cold, something like -55oC that day, I go out the next morning put my junk in the trunk, get in the car and the turn the key and I get nothing, nodda, no ticking, no cranking, no nothing...

I call the rental place and they tell me they will send a tow truck and replace the car. So this happens, and I get a new car... I get a call that afternoon that the reason why the car wouldn't start was because the battery and engine were frozen solid and that I have to plug in the car they just gave me in order to keep it from freezing.

I said, well why didn't someone tell me, You can see that I'm not from Alaska. I had a big fight with them and they were trying to charge me for the repairs to the cars engine which blew the frost plugs etc.

It was a nasty situation, but I honestly was so cold when I got out of the car I wasn't thinking about plugging it in... Nor was I informed at the time of pickup.

I battled Enterprise on it for 2 days and I ended up calling their head office in the US and finally got out of the cost of repairs.

Whoa!! Frozen solid huh?? I bet you were like......
27.gif

Last edited:
I didn't believe it... With modern technology and glycol, it should have been ok but that's what they said... I guess I was tired and more PO-ed about them trying to charge me for it...

I didn't believe it... With modern technology and glycol, it should have been ok but that's what they said... I guess I was tired and more PO-ed about them trying to charge me for it...

Well thanks for the replies. I will be sticking with Mobil Clean 5W-30 Dino.

I have a suzuki XL-7 2.7 V6 too, mine has 80k miles.

I use Rotella T synthetic 5w40 and a PureONE filter, it is excellent.

This engine does NOT like very thin oil, I tried more than once...

Originally Posted By: MrWideTires

Very interesting. The manual recommends 5W-30. How has the Xl-7 been holding up for the 80K, any issues?

Im wondering what kind of oil (dino or synthetic) I should use for my parents Suzuki XL-7 SUV. It is powered by a 2.7L V6 and runs on 5W-30.

The SUV sits in a garage for 2 weeks and gets highway driven once every two weekends. But starting in September it will be used to pick up kids so it will see a lot of short trips. (4 miles per day).

Currently filled with Mobil (Dino) Clean 5K 5W-30 with a M1 Filter. I would like to change the oil just once a year.

TIA

What year is the XL-7? I sold them in 2001, nice little SUV, but they did have issues with Timing Chain noise on a cold start. A lot of people brought them into service complaining about the noise. Suzuki said it was normal and harmless, my only suggestion is follow the suggested OCI. Some of them show elevated wear metal (iron), because of the TC issue.

One of my mechanic buddies said the TC actually rubbed slightly against the cover on a cold start, and made noise until the oil got to it. I can't confirm nor deny that, but I know the cold start TC noise did exist.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

What year is the XL-7? I sold them in 2001, nice little SUV, but they did have issues with Timing Chain noise on a cold start. A lot of people brought them into service complaining about the noise. Suzuki said it was normal and harmless, my only suggestion is follow the suggested OCI. Some of them show elevated wear metal (iron), because of the TC issue.

One of my mechanic buddies said the TC actually rubbed slightly against the cover on a cold start, and made noise until the oil got to it. I can't confirm nor deny that, but I know the cold start TC noise did exist.

It is a 2002 XL-7 currently with 39750 miles. I haven't encountered that issue (hopefully never knock on wood) but I definitely appreciate the info.

Originally Posted By: MrWideTires

Very interesting. The manual recommends 5W-30. How has the Xl-7 been holding up for the 80K, any issues?

It's holding up amazingly well.. we always let it warm up, but we beat the living [censored] out of it. I take it on 4-5 hour trips at 90-95mph (that takes nerve in an XL7), we have DRIFTED it.. literally.. all the time, off-road it, pretty much drive it like a stolen sports car.
It doesn't complain.., the Rotella is an extremelly robust oil and it's protecting the engine extremelly well, and the synthetic ATF made a notisable difference in power delivery.

It's an amazing SUV and I wouldn't change it for any other SUV or Minivan (ok maybe a forester XT), the XL-7 can handle like a car, off-road like a Jeep, the engine is undestructible, it carries 7 people, and I love the relatively high redline (for an SUV).

My 2001 XL7 (70K) and 2007 BMW X3 (80K) has been using Neo 5W30 synthetic oil and Hastings filters exclusively with changes every 15K miles. The Suzuki is still tight as a drum and runs smoothly. I only had to replace the A/C compressor. The X3 had its plugs, ignition coils and valve cover gasket replaced at 65K. I changed from Amsoil to Neo back in the '80s while driving a '76 BMW 2002 and since been a satisfied customer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back