Oil Recommendation for Sorento V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I just joined the forum. You guys and gals seem like a very knowledgeable group. I'm hoping that you can recommend an oil for me.

I have a 2012 Kia Sorento V6 3.5L. The owner's manual specifies a 5W20 oil (API SL, SM or above, ILSAC GF3, GF4 or above). The recommended change interval is 12,000 km or 12 months.

I live in the Greater Toronto Area in Canada so I do a lot of city driving with short hops on the highway. The Sorento is our only car, apart from my motorcycle, so it sees all of the driving. My wife commutes to the train station everyday which is only about 4.5 kms from the house. On evenings and weekends, we'll run errands or go away, day trips, whatever. When we go visit family, we drive about 800 km round trip on the 401 (like an interstate highway, 2 lanes in each direction) - 3 plus times a year.

I also occasionally tow a U-Haul trailer with my motorcycle in it (once or twice a year).

I don't drive like I'm out for a Sunday cruise but I don't floor the gas pedal either. I do sometimes let the engine rev up when accelerating or passing. When on the highway, I'm usually cruising around 120 km/h to 130 km/h.

In two weeks, we’ll be doing a road trip out to the East Coast. I'll be driving over 4,000 km in 7 to 10 days.

My area sees summer temperatures as high as 35C and winter temps as low as -20C.

The car is a year and a few months old with 35,000 km on it and has no issues.

I can pick up a 5 litre jug of Motul 5W30 synthetic. Would that be a good option?

I'd like to switch to synthetic oil. Preferably something that I can go pick up in a local store. My Kia parts guy said that I should stay away from Royal Purple (citing potential warranty issues) and Castrol (he said it was [censored]). He recommended Quaker State and Motul (or any other higher end European synthetic oil).

I hope that's enough information. I'd like a recommendation on what brand and viscosity of oil to by. I'd also like to know a bit of the "why" behind your suggestion so that I can learn, not just blindly buy oil.

Thank you all for your help!

Mark

I have that same engine in my wife's 2012 Sedona. I am also using full syn 5w20 in it as she short trips a good bit and I want to do full 7k OCI's. The KIA 3750 mile recommendation is just silly IMO but I want to protect the warranty so I stay at 7k with the full syn.

I also did a UOA to further protect my warranty by proving the full syn was still fine at 7k. Here's a link to my recent UOA using gold bottle Castrol Edge Titanium 5w20. I can't agree with the parts guys dislike for Castrol. The engine ran scary quiet on this oil and it stayed in grade very, very well for a 7k short tripped run. I'd use it again in a heartbeat.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any name brand full syn pick one you like and see how it runs for you. I refilled ours with clearance Ultra.

[/quote]

First welcome to BITOG!

As KCJeep mentioned, stick with the 20wt oil. The Motul 5W-30 is heavier than necessary not too mention unduly expensive.

I'd suggest Pennzoil Platnium 5W-20 which has good cold starting performance and goes on sale by the jug very frequently in the $20 range. The Cdn Tire MotoMaster F1 synthetic 5W-20 (it's made for them by Shell) is also a great value.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Korean 3 tonne van v6 20 grade? - Yikes.

No ordinary van either, the thing is an absolute rocket! I'd be happy to trade in some of the extra power for a couple mpg actually.

Originally Posted By: mroberto
I'd like to switch to synthetic oil. Preferably something that I can go pick up in a local store. My Kia parts guy said that I should stay away from Royal Purple (citing potential warranty issues) and Castrol (he said it was [censored]). He recommended Quaker State and Motul (or any other higher end European synthetic oil).

RP won't harm your warranty at all. Their current oils are SN/GF-5, so you're not going to have an issue. The parts guy was probably thinking of the older RP stuff, which wasn't SN/GF-5, but still fine oil. And, there's nothing wrong with Castrol. Of course, Quaker State and Pennzoil will serve you well.

With respect to warranty, the parts guy should reign in his Motul recommendations. I don't think any of their stuff is ILSAC rated. And, as CATERHAM pointed out, it will be unduly expensive. Oil is expensive enough in this country without hunting for Motul.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
First welcome to BITOG!

As KCJeep mentioned, stick with the 20wt oil. The Motul 5W-30 is heavier than necessary not too mention unduly expensive.

I'd suggest Pennzoil Platnium 5W-20 which has good cold starting performance and goes on sale by the jug very frequently in the $20 range. The Cdn Tire MotoMaster F1 synthetic 5W-20 (it's made for them by Shell) is also a great value.

+1

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Korean 3 tonne van v6 20 grade? - Yikes.

No ordinary van either, the thing is an absolute rocket! I'd be happy to trade in some of the extra power for a couple mpg actually.

Not an Apples to Apples comparison, and sorry for the OT question but: what's the mileage you're seeing on your v6?

My normal driving conditions are averaging about to 19-20MPG. The road trip I just finished however (lots of highway!) was up in the 23.5-25.5(!) per tank range, hoping when my commute changes from ~7 miles to ~27 miles each way my overall average ticks up a bit as an offset.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! What I'm gathering is, as long as it's ILSAC GF3 or higher, then for the most part the brand doesn't really matter. It mostly comes down to price. Is that right?

The 5W-20 is on sale at Cdn Tire right now for $25. I think I'll pick some of that up.

I appreciate the help everyone!

Also, to chime in on my fuel economy with this engine, I get 18-20 mpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back