Oil Recommendation for RAV4 in Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 2013 rav4, same engine. It was hard, but I left the factory fill in for 10k. 10k oci's ever since. At 64K, running Idemitsu 0w20 at the moment.

Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
Originally Posted By: NH73
I have a 2017 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid. Over 8000 mile still on its FF. I checked the oil early on and it looked good and clean, so I decided to let it in till the recommended 10k. I also figured a hybrid is going to be less hard on the oil than the gas engine only model. I would advice to take your 2 free oil changes at least, but they are only going to do it every 10k. Giving the climate you live in, I wouldn't deviate from the 0w20. Since you mentioned using Mobil 1, you could use Mobil 1 AFE, Mobil 1 EP, or Mobil 1 AP. There is nothing like a conventional 0w20, but there are a few 0w20 synthetic blends. Since the TGMO 0w20 is full synthetic, I say stick to a full synthetic all the way through.

I think a hybrid is harder on the oil. Doesn't a prius say start off from a cold start in battery mode totally silent, then kick in the engine when needed? All the on/off, not to say running 80mph on the highway burning out that small gasser, making it become an oil user?
I have heard it the other way around. That hybrids are less hard on oil, because they don't idle or use there engine all the time. However, they do run to warm up at first.

One thing you got give Toyota here is that there recommendation of oil is ILSAC GF-5 0w20. Thats it. No manufacturer specs. like other manufactures do. About every 0w20 out there is ILSAC GF-5, there is a few I know aren't, like Mobil 1 High Mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back