Oil recommendation for my new to me '05 Outback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle is a 2005 Subaru Outback LL Bean bought to replace my totaled 2007 Legacy.

The Outback has the 3.0 Liter H6, 5 speed auto, and VTD awd. It's done 85xxx miles and will be my daily driver/personal adventure vehicle hopefully for a long time to come.

The owner's manual calls for ILSAC GF-3 or API classification SL Energy Conserving or SJ Energy Conserving if SL is unavailable. The manual says 5W-30 is prefered for most temperatures with 10W-30 or 10W-40 for higher temperatures. For desert climates or heavy duty applications the manual calls for 10W-50, 20W-40, or 20W-50.

I live in Northeast TN. Temps are usually 20's - 30's in the winter and 80's in the summer, though they can dip into the teens or reach into the 100's.

Its primary use will be my Monday - Friday commute, which is ~ 40 miles round trip. About 2 of those miles are city and the rest are on the interstate at about 70 mph. On the weekends it will get me to the trail head with the dog and packs, bikes etc, or skis/snowboards in the winter. So maybe some fire road, or dirt/gravel trail light off road type use.

I've taken a bit of a hit in fuel economy coming from my 4 cylinder/5mt Legacy so I'm going to try to drive the Outback as gently as I can and eke out as many mpg's as possible. Although I'm sure that I'll occasionally be unable to resist taking advantage of the greater power from the H6.

The vehicle has no problems that I know of and hopefully it'll stay that way for a while.

I used Mobil 1 5W-30 in the Legacy and would probably just continue with that in the Outback but figured I'd check into other possibilities first. Would I benefit from the 10W-40 or 10W-50? I'd love to be able to rack up the miles on this car for a long time to come and see how long it will last. 200K, 300K, or more? I wouldn't care to spring for something super fancy that I order online if that would help. I generally change the oil every 3-5K with a K&N filter. I don't know if those are considered a quality filter but when doing the change myself the 1" nut really comes in handy.

Thanks for the help and any suggestions.

Sounds like the plan you used with the Legacy will be fine in the Outback...5w30 year round in Tennessee.
thumbsup2.gif

Welcome to the Forum.

"Mobil 1 5W-30" is fine. Engine may need several short-run LOF changes if there are signs of sludge or varnish under the oil filler cap.

For best long-term results, suggest you change all the fluids, cooling system, transmission, front and rear differentials, brake fluid and etc... Don't forget the belts, hoses, fuel filter, and pcv valve.

Your Mobil 5W30 is great for that car. I work at a Subaru dealership and I can tell you those 3.0 H6 motors are the best you can buy from Subaru. The automatics in those cars are also heavier duty to handle the increased power. Honestly, those motors are happy on pretty much any 5W30- just be sure to adhere to proper oil change intervals. Also, if you haven't done it, pop the plug out of the transmission pan and drain it. Fill it with fresh Subaru ATF-HP fluid (SOA868V9241) and install a new plug gasket (11126AA000). You'll need 5 quarts to have enough to refill it to the proper level. Doing this each year will ensure good transmission function and no premature all wheel drive bind issues.

Good advice on transmission maintenance. I have the same 5EAT tranny and drain and fill the ATF each spring (before the summer heat arrives) in all my vehicles.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If you're concerned with fuel mileage you don't want to go about a 5w30.

I meant above 5w30.

This dang phone causes so many typos.

Originally Posted By: trx250x92
Where you from in Northeast Tennessee? I'm from Greeneville

I'm in the TriCities area myself. I actually looked at a couple of Outback XT's down your way before deciding on this H6 model.

If you're concerned with fuel mileage you don't want to go about a 5w30.

I meant above 5w30.

This dang phone causes so many typos.

Yeah, I figured fuel economy is at least part of why Subaru specs the 5w30. Although I do want to try to eke what I can out of this larger, more powerful car, I would certainly prioritize protection over an mpg or two from the oil.

I've used 10W-30 & 5W-30 in the SVX for over two decades...

Never has that H6 been mechanically apart for anything other than a valve cover gasket replacement.

Cheers!

p.s. I really like Chevron Supreme & Havoline in dino's and PP or SynPower in the FAR (or, ALMOST FAR) synthetics

For a 3-5K OCI, I've had a happy* Subaru with both Pennzoil and Quaker State conventional oils.

*happy means the classic cold start piston slap that my Subaru has, as many do, seems to quiet down quickly on these oils. My guess is the Moly content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back