Oil Recommendation for me???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, all. You seem to be far more educated about oil than I am so I have a few questions. I have a 2003 Toyota Matrix (which is basically a Corolla) and it has 12,600 miles on it right now. At my first oil change I used some sort of Penzoil synthetic, I can't remember which. That was at 3,300 miles. Then, at 6,500 miles I used Mobil 1 15w50 because it was 90 degrees out and my wife and I were about to make a trip to Las Vegas and back from Los Angeles. I got almost 40mpg on that trip! Now that it's gotten a little chilly, though it's beginning to warm up, I changed it again at about 9k with Mobil 1 5w30. I've noticed that I've been getting horrible gas mileage. My wife will make a few short trips throughout the day, maybe 2 or 3 which are all less than 3 miles. We drive another 180 miles per week on the freeways. I've been averaging 24mpg within the last few weeks.

I have a box of 6 gallons of Shell Rotella T 15w-50 because a friend recommended it to me for motorcycle use. Should I use the Rotella in my car? What do you all think? I'm looking for great wear protection in my car as well as improved fuel economy without spending $8 per quart.

Did you say 40mpg on M1 15w-50? This isn't logical but if what your telling me is true, thats amazing. I'd stick with M1 5w-30 in the winter and 10w-30 in the summer. Actually, I'd try Mobil 1 0w-20 or Redline 5w-20 ($7qt). I think your gas mileage would be great. It sounds like something else is going on for your gas mileage to drop like that using a thinner oil. It just doesn't jive.

BTW, your not the only person I've heard say that they get either more power or better gas mileage with M1 15w-50. It is or was their racing oil so it might have a better friction modifiying package. Who knows.....

[ January 29, 2004, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Definately don't use the Rotella, zink and other metallic additives are not good for your Asian cat, must meet a ISLAC GF-3 for your car. Mobil 1 5w-30 should be perfect for your car, you could also try the 10w-30 if you wanted. Your choice depends on your objectives: cost, protection, long change intervals, cold performance, etc. Cost-effective there is $1 Chevron Supreme, $2 Syntec Blend is a great choice, and for longer 8000-9000 mile intervals, Mobil 1. I would stick with a 30 weight oil.

[ January 29, 2004, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: TSoA ]

Well, I guess I'll stick with the 5w-30 then and we'll see what happens. I buy gas from Shell because I have a gas card from there, but every 2,000 miles I add the Chevron Fuel Additive which is supposed to clean the fuel system (I believe it is concentrated Techron).

Yes, buster, you heard me correctly. On our trip to last vegas we hit about 220 miles when my tank was half empty. Then we drove around the streets some more looking for our hotel. The next day we drove around a little more and finally, when it was time to go home I filled up. It came out to about 38-40mpg. It was very hot outside and I had the Mobil 1 15w50 in the car, I believe. I live in Los Angeles so it gets very warm here. I was worried about running 30wt oil but if you guys say so then it's what I'll do. Thanks!

By the way, quick edit... I believe I got the good mileage because it was all freeway. I made a non-stop trip from L.A. to Las Vegas so that might've helped steady fuel consumption. After a while and winter hit, my fuel economy went downhill big time! So I thought I'd change to the 10w30 viscosity and it didn't seem to help. I'll see if I can buy an oil analysis kit and we'll see what happens.

[ January 29, 2004, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Blue636 ]

I personally don't think you need to be adding so much Techron or any other fuel additives. It isn't necessary. If you feel the need to because of pinging or other driveability problems, then you might try switching brands of gasoline. Some cars in my experience just don't like Shell gas.

Comparing a road trip like you describe to driving on the LA freeway is like comparing apples to oranges. I can definitely believe the huge difference. You can get some unbelievable mileage on long road trips like that.

Go with the grade and viscosity your manufacturer recommends, to keep your warranty in force.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
Go with the grade and viscosity your manufacturer recommends, to keep your warranty in force.

cool.gif
I'd go with Mobil 1 in the manufacturer's recommended viscosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back