Oil Recommendation for LS7 Z06 Street & Track Usage

The HART (Honda of America racing team) all run Redline oil in their cars. I race with a couple of the engineers. Most of the time the OEM recommended viscosity, but the ICE engineers recommend Redline oil. They use it in the transmission and differential as well. Gives some accreditation that a Japanese auto manufacturer uses Redline oil for there performance driving teams.

I'll ask the GM Performance Driving team next time I see them to ask what oil they use.

For me it makes sense just to use the OEM viscosity, but not be concerned with the API or emissions related oil specifications that Dexos and others are held to. OEM oil grades with top notch lubrication qualities.

RL 5w30 in my cts-v wagon w/LSA now that it's off warranty, after a life of warranty-friendly PUP 5w30. It may be overkill for the job, but the car gets driven very hard though not often, and therefore doesn't see extended oci's (or frequent oil changes). It's completely anecdotal, but I have noticed the engine is revvier and I've had to slightly shorten my throttle blips on downshifts. Also running RL 10w40 in the 635csi. It's my go-to oil brand for any off warranty car that gets driven hard and doesn't see frequent oil changes.

One thing I've read about Redline is it's polar nature causes it to pull wear metals out of an engine, so it's common for the first uoa to read high.

Oil is likely the cheapest part of keeping a track car running well. Might as well use what you feel is best.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Stickygreen
One thing I've read about Redline is it's polar nature causes it to pull wear metals out of an engine, so it's common for the first uoa to read high.

I have seen the same thing. Metals that have worn by other oils can actually move around and re-bond temporarily to another part of the engine and then be pulled out of the engine into an oil like Redline. Sometimes wear metals will show higher (like you said) at first because of this and not return to normal for sometimes up to another 5 OCI's though no fault of an oil like Redline.

Last edited:
Mobil1 15w-50 has been recommended for years for Corvette track usage by GM. Its easy to find (walmart, amazon). HTHS is sky-high at 4.5, way above the street-level recommendation of HTHS 3.0.
If the racing isn't that severe, consider maybe up to 10 minutes at a time of max-RPM driving as light racing, then Mobil1 Euro 0w40 is a good choice for everyday use and track.

Coming in for my annual oil change. Saw some borderline out of spec oil pressures at 265F using Redline 5w-30 and OEM oil filter on a track weekend. l Gonna step it up to Redline 5w-40 and K&N filter for this next oil change. Hoping to give a little more margin as I am able to drive the car harder and faster. Stay tuned for UOA with the 5w-30 and 6 track days.

Coming in for my annual oil change. Saw some borderline out of spec oil pressures at 265F using Redline 5w-30 and OEM oil filter on a track weekend. l Gonna step it up to Redline 5w-40 and K&N filter for this next oil change. Hoping to give a little more margin as I am able to drive the car harder and faster. Stay tuned for UOA with the 5w-30 and 6 track days.
Do you have oil cooler? Also, 265 should not be an issue. I was pushing BMW to 290f on M1 0W40 (no oil cooler on N52 engine, I am putting it over the coming spring).
Check also Motul 5W40 SPort and gold standard of track oils, Motul 300V and 300V is available in numerous grades, including 5W40.

I like Amsoil Dominator. Either the 10w30 or 15w50. The redline you are using is also a fantastic choice. Both companies dont slouch on quality. Theres a reason why professional race teams use their products.

Hey Guys,

I am selling my S2000 with has been primarily my track toy and transitioning over to using my C6 Z06 as a track car. The Z06 has 55k miles on it, 2008 vintage and the famed LS7 motor. The car is going to be prepped for A-Street in autocross. Basically modifications will include Corsa mufflers, K&N drop-in filter, shocks, sway bar, stainless steel brake lines, and 200 treadwear tires. Pretty mild modifications.

For 2020
~5000 miles of street use
~3-4 track days
~10 autocross events

I've been using Mobil 1 5w-30 with a Mobil 1 oil filter since the car does really see any track time now. Seeing as I am going to see more abuse on it, I'd like to reconsider. Thinking a couple options here. Stick with the 5w-30 and use Redline products. Bump to Mobil 1 0w-40, should I do FS or ESP? In 2018 Chevy started to factory fill all the C7 cars with 0w-40 ESP and Mobil 1 released a bulletin that Chevy endorses the 0w-40 ESP as their "street/track" oil recommendation. The ESP has 900/990 ZDDP while FS has 1000/1100 ZDDP which makes me think its purely emissions related. Wondering if there is any other formulation differences. Next there is also the Chevy recommended 15w-50 blend for heavy track use. Don't think I will go to this as my track sessions are around ~20 minutes and not competitive.

In short...
Redline 5w-30
Mobil 1 0w-40 FS
Mobil 1 0w-40 ESP
Mobil 1 5w-30
Or.... something else?

Additionally, I am thinking to use the OEM AcDelco PF48E filter. Thoughts on this over a K&N or Mobil 1?
M1 0w40 ESP, and if you start doing more track days in hot weather, add oil cooling to keep max temperature to about 280F.

Redline is good, despite all the weird things people say about it. I ran 5w30 in my Camaro and Corvette for years. I saw temperatures up to 315F on the Corvette running the Rolex Daytona course. No problems.

I would choose Redline 10w40 over 5w40 for the higher HTHS.

Put a cam in that LS7. You can easily get it to 570 HP with a simple cam swap.

M1 0w40 ESP, and if you start doing more track days in hot weather, add oil cooling to keep max temperature to about 280F.

Redline is good, despite all the weird things people say about it. I ran 5w30 in my Camaro and Corvette for years. I saw temperatures up to 315F on the Corvette running the Rolex Daytona course. No problems.

I would choose Redline 10w40 over 5w40 for the higher HTHS.

Put a cam in that LS7. You can easily get it to 570 HP with a simple cam swap.
Is his engine direct injection? ESP is not necessary at all IMO. If it is not DI than FS version is better.

Is his engine direct injection? ESP is not necessary at all IMO. If it is not DI than FS version is better.
LS7 is port injection. FS is lower HTHS, barely above 30-grade. But it has higher ZDDP. Really sort of a tossup for me, but the LS7 doesn't need higher antiwear.

why not try a redline oil? arent they supposed to be using the best synthetic base oils and kinda meant for racing and high rpm? bukra phoosi

Back