Oil Recommendation for BMW M2, Arizona/Track Days

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'll just buy the Motul 0w-40 since it still carriers the LL-01 rating. Wish we knew for sure that the Castrol 0w-40 was still exact same forumula but they just let the certification expire for LL-01 rating.

Originally Posted by M2driverWV
I guess I'll just buy the Motul 0w-40 since it still carriers the LL-01 rating. Wish we knew for sure that the Castrol 0w-40 was still exact same forumula but they just let the certification expire for LL-01 rating.

I have done the same for my summer car. Still using the Castrol in my winter car, willing to risk it in that one.

Last edited:

The Castrol product has Porsche A40 approval, one that's at least as demanding as Longlife-01 if not more so. That as become more important to me than Longlife-01 for comparing brands.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

Nice car! I'd want to really know what track days do to the oil ...

THIS ^^^^^

The OP has a lightly modified M2 that is tracked. Warranty is likely void ...

I wouldn't concentrate on finding an oil with BMW LL-01 approval. I WOULD worry about keeping the engine alive on a hot track day. The OP needs to find out how hot the oil is getting at the track, and choose accordingly.

Originally Posted by Gimpy1
If heat is such an issue why not just add a thermostatically controlled external oil cooler. This would also add an additional quart of oil.

The car already has one from the factory.

Originally Posted by geeman789
JHZR2 said:

BMW has no problem with people using the cars on track. They even provide a checklist to follow before attending a track day. Minor stuff about having fresh brake fluid (less than a year old) and having at least 50% brake pad material remaining. Some cars even come with a special OBD plug that modifies the car that is supposed to be used when taking the car on track.

Originally Posted by Gimpy1
If heat is such an issue why not just add a thermostatically controlled external oil cooler. This would also add an additional quart of oil.

This is M model. It is track ready.

No they did not. BMW is not doing LL01 anymore. It is not Castrol, it is BMW.
Motul has older formula that was approved by BMW and there is no need to update it. One thing about Mobil1, Castrol, Pennzoil etc. is that every time they change slightly formula, they update approvals as approvals are really cheap to obtain.

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
JHZR2 said:

BMW has no problem with people using the cars on track. They even provide a checklist to follow before attending a track day. Minor stuff about having fresh brake fluid (less than a year old) and having at least 50% brake pad material remaining. Some cars even come with a special OBD plug that modifies the car that is supposed to be used when taking the car on track.

Exactly; my service advisor even pulled ahead a complementary oil change on my M235i so I would have fresh oil in the sump before an HPDE.

Originally Posted by MCompact
JHZR2 said:

Exactly; my service advisor even pulled ahead a complementary oil change on my M235i so I would have fresh oil in the sump before an HPDE.

What is up with your dealer? Do they owe you $$ did you save them $$? Are they part of a group other than Sonic Automotive or Penske?

Last edited:
Is that hard to find?

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

What is up with your dealer? Do they owe you $$ did you save them $$? Are they part of a group other than Sonic Automotive or Penske?

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by MCompact
JHZR2 said:

BMW has no problem with people using the cars on track. They even provide a checklist to follow before attending a track day. Minor stuff about having fresh brake fluid (less than a year old) and having at least 50% brake pad material remaining. Somye cars even come with a special OBD plug that modifies the car that is supposed to be used when taking the car on track.

I've been a loyal customer for years. My advisor is a fellow BMW CCA member. I also worked there for eighteen months and left on excellent terms.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

Nice car! I'd want to really know what track days do to the oil ...

THIS ^^^^^

I wouldn't concentrate on finding an oil with BMW LL-01 approval. I WOULD worry about keeping the engine alive on a hot track day. The OP needs to find out how hot the oil is getting at the track, and choose accordingly.

Agree on keeping the engine in best condition on a track day. Not sure that track voids warranty so long as maintenance is maintained.

Does the M2 have an oil temp gauge? Does it routinely hit 240-250F oil temps like my 135icM? I'd assume yes on track days, even if the oil coolers are much updated/sized compared to e82/88 designs.

I agree with comments above that A40 might be a better search than LL-01 or LL-04. Given that we do now have ULSG, I'd not be opposed to running LL-04/vw504/507 oils for their better properties, if backed by a UOA. But that's for routine use and not necessarily for tracking.

I actually do like the idea of Amsoil HDD 10w-30/30 if there's benefit power or oil temp wise to running a 30wt syn. It's robust stuff with no VII. I wouldn't be opposed to running a 40 or even a 50wt oil in AZ if heavily tracked. I'd also be looking for low NOACK. I think we need to take a collection to get noack done on some of the pennzoil platinum products.

Only UOA can give more information. Nothing says that motul or ravenol will outperform other oils. We think they will...

Originally Posted by edyvw

No they did not. BMW is not doing LL01 anymore. It is not Castrol, it is BMW.
Motul has older formula that was approved by BMW and there is no need to update it. One thing about Mobil1, Castrol, Pennzoil etc. is that every time they change slightly formula, they update approvals as approvals are really cheap to obtain.

Yes, we still use LL-01 oil. We still use the Twin Power Turbo 0W40 in many newer M cars, which is LL-01, but, it is made by Shell and not Castrol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back