Oil Recommendation for '66 Cadillac 7.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking to see you guy's opinion on what oil to run in my 1966 Cadillac Deville with the 7.0L/429cid V-8. I am looking for something with the highest ZDDP but that is much harder today with modern oils. I am currently running MaxLife red bottle (semi-syn) 5w/30. Manual calls for 10W/30 but I am open to other grades such as 10w/40, 15W/40, 5w/40 etc but not 20w/50. My other options are to just add a ZDDP additive to regular oil to boost it or use one of the "vintage oils" available but I really would rather have something easy to obtain and not as expensive. Right now I am strongly considering the Valvoline VR1 oil...is that a decent choice?

THANKS!

Stock Cadillac 429/500 engines are almost immune to flat cam lobes. The machining & metallurgy of these engines was some of the best in the world at the time.

Unlike the early Big Block Chevies which were notorious for flat cam lobes, A LOT of them were because of mis-machined lifter bore locations, And Small Block Chevy which were notorious as well.

Delo 400 LE 15w40?

Save 15$ via rebate here

If you can find it. Tons of zinc, tons of boron, dash of moly.

Paired with an AC Delco PF24

Last edited:
I run some of the '65-'66 and last Buick 401/425 Nailheads. These are lower rpm/oil pressure engines also designed to build high torque to move heavy cars.They are also very high quality from the factory and I typically just run conventional 10-30 with Delco filters. With this simple recipe these Buick boats have been very reliable over my many years of ownership. (Now, my new 'lightweight' design 430/455 '67 and '70 engines have been a little different story!)

You'll be fine, there is no need this isn't running fast ramp race cam over the nose spring pressures.

Zinc 0.120 percent by mass vs. 0.085 isn't going to make a difference on something that " gets used up" as needed.

Look for high moly instead.

And ... NO ADDITIVES.

You don't need "the highest" ZDDP, you need about 1000 PPM in a fully broken-in engine with a traditional flat lifter cam. Especially a Cadillac, Mopar, Buick, Olds, etc. with a very stable valvetrain and good metallurgy. and Cadillacs innparticular have mild cams and soft valve springs that don't abuse the lifter/lobe contact point. For initial break-in there are very high ZDDP break in oils, but after that you're good.

I just posed three VOAs to the VOA forum- the latest Rotella T6 5w40, Redline 0w40, and Royal Purple HPS 10w40. Any of the three would work for you, as would many others like VR-1, Amsoil, Driven, etc.

Bang for buck, though, it's hard to beat Rotella T6.

VOA thread

Last edited:
You're in TX?

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Delo 400 LE 15w40?

Save 15$ via rebate here

If you can find it. Tons of zinc, tons of boron, dash of moly.

/thread

Joe Gibbs has some 10W40 "hot rod" oil for this type application but it's expensive.
I use Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 in my 67 Camaro 250 six. It seems to work fine. It probably has similar cam profiles to the Caddy (not very aggressive). At 1000 miles or so per year I doubt I can wear it out even if the zinc is low. I change every three years or so.

Last edited:
yes Some Diesel oils have higher rating of ZINC.

In my 289 for my mustang i run TEXAS REFINERY PRO-SPEC III WITH MOLY 1400PPM OF ZINC.

Great oil.

For texas you can run HM 10w30 or 15w40 year round.
If it leaks/uses a fare amount of oil then run the 15w40. Valvoline Maxlife 15w40 is good if you can find it.

VR 1 sounds like a great choice

10/40 would be nice and nothing wrong with 10/30 just that you do live in TX so the 40 is fine and I am sure. the OEM manual states that.

Maxlife isn't a bad choice either in the 10w40 and would actually prefer it as it is a semisyn.

Best friend had a 66 Eldorado with the 7.0, he said straight 40 is what the engine liked. It was one sweet ride.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
VR1 10W-30 would be an excellent choice.

Yes it would, now if we could just get them to make it in a 5w30 I would run it year round in my 5.7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back